Author Topic: Championship 2016 at Totalcon (Feb 20-21) (New Thread)  (Read 7368 times)

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: Championship 2016 at Totalcon (Feb 20-21) (New Thread)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 11:17:49 PM »
Kevin:  lizardmen.  I want to see a T-Rex stand and shoot build!!

On a sidenote, just no way I can come.  Our furnace just died, so bought a new one and a new AC, to go along with the new car I just Sharon since he mighty neon died, so just don't have the funds.

I had to buy a new furnace last week.  Nice surprise, isn't it?
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:44 PM »
Dumb question - Does High Elven Precision still count as a command card?  I thought I remembered seeing that it didn't but now I can't find it in the doc.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 07:01:29 PM »
Yeah, it still counts as a card (as it always has at Championship).  Which, yes, makes it all-but-worthless unless you're a wounded-or-flanked Battlesquad, or Scorpions shooting at a 3+/1.  On the other hand, it's not like the High Elves suffer from lack of strong attacks. 

Oh, and before any accusations of bias, remember that Blakely is playing High Elves this year and everyone should know how much I want to see her stomp you guys into the dirt!  ;)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 07:08:36 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2016, 11:20:57 AM »
Which, yes, makes it all-but-worthless unless you're a wounded-or-flanked Battlesquad, or Scorpions shooting at a 3+/1.
I do like me some Precision on HE Knights and Chariots when charging opponents with loe defensive toughness.  Dark Elves absolutely love it...
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2016, 12:05:00 PM »
Blakely, a bit of advice with your High Elf domination campaign.  You WILL have headaches trying to construct your armies.  You will always feel out numbered and have your flanks threatened.  Maneuver Mastery gets stronger as the game goes on but it only delays you getting engaged for so long and with the introduction of the 3.0 rules for final rushing, it might more often be a pinch rather than a two's company.  

Some other things that I've learned over the years about the High Elves:

1.  Chariots are just plain awesome for the price.  The scare the crap out of other cavalry and the fact that they are considered charging when flanked can't be overlooked.

2. High Elf units are great and even greater if you have plethora of command cards in your hand.  Taking the High Elf Battlemages allows you to draw more cards in the beginning of the game and makes your first round of attacks more deadly.  If you can draw any of the forces and/or mights early, the Chariots on the charge are a meat grinder.  Also, be aware that even though High Elf Battlemages are a 5/5 offensive profile they do have an extra attack die compared to other ranged units plus their ability to draw cards for free.

3.  I've always liked the Scorpions, but it might be harder to pick them with the inflated price of 290 points.  

4.  Cygnets suck......In my opinion the only reason you would pick them is because you don't have the points to spare and can't have a High Elf Battle Squad.

5.  Precision, even in it's current form(which I hate) is good on your cavalry (Chariots and High Elf Knights). An extra hit with either a 6 or 7 offensive power is good provided that you don't have a command card that gives you more.  Now if you could play both of them on the same attack.......I wouldn't just limit them to cavalry.

6. Don't waste your points on Elderblades if your up against another Elf faction (Ravenwood Elves, Dark Elves).  The 6/5 offensive profile works just fine against those factions.  With Kevin's pricing, the difference between Swordsmen and Elderblades swordsmen is 51 points!!!!!!!  Saving that a few times might allow you to draw more command cards or allow you to have that one extra unit that will make all the difference.  

7.  It's hard to pick Celestial Guard because they are so expensive, but I love the look on people's faces when you plop it down on the table.  The unit can't be ignored and people try to maneuver to defend against it.  Use that to your advantage if you can.   I usually don't use the unit because of the price.  I like having another unit on the board, but if you have the courage to take it and use it effectively, it won't disappoint.  It never does.

So there you have it....Good hunting.  Still not sure what I am playing, but who knows, perhaps I'll still join you.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 02:10:27 PM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »
Under 3 weeks!  :)  Please don't forget to register for the con if you haven't done so already.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »
The official events listings have been posted here:

http://www.totalcon.com/events/Events2016.pdf

That's right, the Championship tournament is in the Ballroom this year!  Table(s) 9.  FYI the Ballroom is basically the big game room near the end of the corridor.  On the map below it's listed as the Buckingham room:

http://www.totalcon.com/events/Information2016.pdf

Pros over last year's placement

1 - less chance of climate control issues.  IIRC last year's location was pretty chilly for most of Saturday.

2 - A much bigger visual footprint for the game, meaning that people attending TotalCon will actually get to see Battleground being played.  Last year nobody knew we existed.  This year we may even get merchandise sales provided Kevin or I bring merchandise to sell.  Kevin and I will have to discus that one privately.

3 - We'll actually feel like we're at a gaming convention again!  Last year's location felt like being holed up in a dungeon and I felt like I missed a big part of the convention part of it.  And it was a brutally long walk if I wanted to visit the dealer's room or get a cup of coffee between games.

4 - In case there are any first time attendees to TotalCon playing in the event we'll be a heck of a lot easier to find.

5 - The men's room near last year's location was incredibly weird. 

Cons

1 - There will be a ton more noise and hubbub going on around us so be sure to bring you concentration caps.

2 - Possibility of less available space depending on where we are in the room and what events are going on next to us.

3 - Trickier to hide the beer.

Over all I think the pros outweigh the cons here and I'm excited for that!
-Rush, Secret Touch

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Say, doesn anybody know if Chad will show up?  I know that if he does he'll be promoting Boda Borg again.  I was just curious.
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2016, 01:35:06 PM »
I bumped into Chad when Blakely and I (plus our other-sides) went to Boda Borg a few weeks back.  Chad said he'd "try to make it.  Not to play in the tournament, but at least to say hi to folks."   

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 04:37:18 PM »
I called the Holiday Inn to confirm my reservation. They lost it.  My roommate and I will have to book somewhere else and commute.  I am not happy about this.  >:(

For any of you booked at the Holiday Inn, I suggest you confirm now, to ensure you don't have an unpleasant surprise waiting for you at check-in.

See youse guys in one week!

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
That sucks Dave  :-\

Brook, Chris, and I are staying at my Mom's place in West Warwick RI.  So we get a 35 minute commute each day to TotalCon but at least it's free and there will be no cancellations  8)

Say there Kev, are there any special bidding packages this year we should be aware of?
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2016, 07:38:30 PM »
Say there Kev, are there any special bidding packages this year we should be aware of?

I'll be posting them this Sunday.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2016, 04:14:39 AM »
OK, something concerning the shooting at big guys Championship rule -

"Shooting at Big Guys Rule:   Choose one each time your unit makes an attack: 
You get the bonus to hit a Large/Colossal target and forfeit the right to play Command Cards on this attack.  (Units which may not play command cards while attacking (e.g. Goblin Bomb Chucker) must choose this option.)
You don’t get the bonus to hit Large/Colossal and may play Command Cards normally.  “May play cards normally” means as per normal game rules for that unit.  This includes using faction abilities that count as playing Command Cards."

So let's say you choose to waive the ability to play a card and receive the normal +1/+0 bonus when firing on the Large unit.  You play no cards and roll your dice.  Your opponent plays a reactive card like a Roll with the Blow or a Fumble.  Can you then play a card to counter it?  Or are you stuck not being able to play anything?
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 07:55:15 AM »
So let's say you choose to waive the ability to play a card and receive the normal +1/+0 bonus when firing on the Large unit.  You play no cards and roll your dice.  Your opponent plays a reactive card like a Roll with the Blow or a Fumble.  Can you then play a card to counter it?  Or are you stuck not being able to play anything?

You're stuck not playing anything.  In fact, the rule is harsher than that, since you must choose to (have the ability to) play cards immediately before your first opportunity to do so.  For example.

"My Scorptions will take the +1 to hit your Teaant."

"Mettle."

"Well, *&@#."

Effectively taking that bonus counts as playing a Command Card.  ("Accuracy" in the case of a Colossal Target, "Lame-Ass Half-Accuracy" ("Lethargic Strike"..?) in the case of a Large Target.)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 07:57:58 AM by Kevin »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 09:41:18 AM »
That's... horrible.
-Rush, Secret Touch