Author Topic: Championship 2016 at Totalcon (Feb 20-21) (New Thread)  (Read 8124 times)

Kevin

Championship 2016 at Totalcon (Feb 20-21) (New Thread)
« on: December 30, 2015, 04:08:00 PM »
OK guys, we're doing it all again!  The 6th Championship Tournament will be at Totalcon in Mansfield, Massachusetts.  The good news is that this time we'll be in the main gaming area!  :)

Hope to see you there!  Post below if you have any questions.

Oh, and before anyone asks, Alexander and Persia may be taken at the tournament this year.  Like most other factions, they got a handful of tweaks (1 and 3 respectively) to bring them into my perception of the Platonic ideal of tournament balance.  See the special rules.

Saturday Schedule:

Sign ups at 10am.  Game 1 starts at 10:15 AM sharp.  Round 4 games likely will end between 9:30 and 10:30 PM.

Take any published faction (fantasy or historical) and play it for the tournament.

Game 1:  2000 points, Ticking Clock, Terrain.

Game 2:  2250 points, (4CAs, 4 Core, 2 Elite), Total Warfare, Open Map, Special Situation

Game 3:  1750 (3 CAs, 3 Core, 1 Elite), Total Warfare, Terrain + Night battle. (= Secret-and-simultaneous deployment and ranged attacks have a maximum range of 7".) and 1 other Special Situation.

Game 4:  2000 points, Total Warfare, Terrain, Special Package Bid #1.  (See downthread.)

First round pairings will be random, except that players in the same game group won't be matched vs. each other.  Further ones will be "Swiss," meaning players with similar records will play vs. each other--so you'll end up playing more people with levels of experience similar to your own.

If we have an odd number of people in a given round, one game will be 2-on-1.

Sunday features two events, both starting at 10am.

1)  Single-elimination finals!  Players with the top-4 records make it into the semifinals.  Those who lose their semifinals game play a tiebreaker to determine 3rd vs. 4th place.

Note that records are determined as follows:
wins - losses
Ties broken by opponents' wins - losses
Special rule:  if you played and beat anyone with an equal win-loss record whose opponents had a better record than you, you advance to immediately above them.

Semifinals:  Ticking Clock, 2000, Terrain, Special Package Bid #2 (See downthread.)

Finals:  2000 Terrain, Total Warfare  (In the finals game 5 pieces of terrain will be offered, with each player making 2 vetoes.)

Also, there will be a more casual "Sunday Swiss" mini-tournament for folks who didn't make it into the semifinals.

-----------------

Prizes!   ;D

First place gets first pick, 2nd gets 2nd pick, 3rd gets 3rd pick, 4th gets 4th pick.  Winner of the Sunday Swiss gets 5th pick. the "Plugger" (player must play at least 6 games, not win any of the other 7 prizes, and have the worst record) gets 6th pick.  2nd & 3rd in Sunday Swiss get 7th & 8th picks respectively.

The eight prizes, in no particular order:

- The complete 8-book set of Order of the Stick! (Yeah, again.  This is by far the most valuable prize.)
- The complete 2-book set of Oglaf.  (R-rated fantasy comics, which are funny and more dirty than sexy.)
- Another complete 2-book set of Oglaf.
- Wuxing Coin Package:  4 coins featuring a terracotta warrior, a green dragon, a red dragon, and a yellow dragon respectively.  (The yellow dragon coin is Australian and 1 ounce silver.  The other coins are Chinese and are brass and silver plate (twice) respectively.)
- Lizardmen Coin Package #1:  3 large coins (one all silver, two silver-plate) from Sierra Leone featuring a Velociraptor, a T-Rex, and a Triceratops.
- Lizardmen Coin Package #2:  2 Canadian coins (pure silver, with some surface copper) featuring T-Rex and Triceratops bones respectively.  Plus a few copper T-Rex tokens.
- Ravenwood Coin Package:  Two pure-silver Canadian coins, featuring a grizzly bear and a wolf respectively.
- Umenzi Coin Package:  a historic coin (over 70 years old!) from the Belgian Congo, featuring an elephant that certainly looks like Mumakil without the riders.

Plus there are victory medals for first, second, third, and first in Sunday Swiss.
-----------------

As with previous Championship Tournaments, many measures to ensure clean games will be practiced:  table dice, armies verified by judges, and all units are put in provided felt-backed card holders to prevent them from accidentally moving.

Also, some special rules and point costs will be used.  You can see the package of rules here.

Here are the 18 Special Situations we'll be using at Championship.  Mostly the same as last year.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:51:54 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Kevin

Re: Championship 2016 at Totalcon (Feb 20-21) (New Thread)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 04:23:43 PM »
Touranment Roster.  I'll keep this updated.  Please post below if you'll be there!

Going (Some folks have yet to confirm.): 8

Blakely, Carl, Marcus, Brook, Ron, Dave, Eric, Me.  Also my assistant Rachel will be back to take photos and help judge.

Maybe:

Tim, Jaime (won't make the main event.  Maybe for both Friday & Sunday.), Moose, Rob, Chris, Manny, Chad (hoping to swing by & say hi; not playing), Mike, Niko

Anyone I'm missing?  The more, the merrier!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:34:58 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 05:32:57 PM »
Anyone I'm missing?  The more, the merrier!

Eric
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 05:36:35 PM »
Game 3:  1750 (3 CAs, 3 Core, 1 Elite), Total Warfare, Terrain + Night battle. (= Secret-and-simultaneous deployment and ranged attacks have a maximum range of 7".) and 1 other Special Situation.

I violently object to this.  If you are going to do a night battle, do it the right way.  Turn off all the lights in the room at the beginning of turn 1 and have the players feel the tops of their dice to determine rolls.
-Rush, Dreamline

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 05:46:52 PM »
Eric.

(Oops .  :-[ ) Added!  Ditto Manny.

If you are going to do a night battle, do it the right way.  Turn off all the lights in the room at the beginning of turn 1 and have the players feel the tops of their dice to determine rolls.

Bonus that your opponent has no way of knowing if your cards are what you say they are.  ;D

BubblePig

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2015, 07:58:17 PM »
Funny thing: that does not feel like my dice at all.

Lance OCasey

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:24:08 AM »
I'll be there!

--Carl

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 10:34:36 AM »
Kevin,

Can we play with these rules for the High Elves?

I have been playing the high elves for quite some time with Marcus with these rules and I was hoping that we could try it for the tournament.  I vaguely remember you posting/saying (not sure which) that you would consider trying some of my changes.

Here are the house rules I have been using.

1.) Precision does not count as a command card
2.) All point costs for all units are as printed on the card.(Simple, ay!)
3.) Oathbound-  Is a re-roll at a +2 courage, and you must mark a health box off (starting from right) (a variant of "I kill you meself" but you could STILL FAIL)

It's all good if you don't want to do this, It's your tournament,  however these are what I think would be the best changes for the faction.  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:38:56 AM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 10:46:50 PM »
I'll be there!

--Carl
Alright!  Looking forward to seeing you again Carl!
-Rush, Dreamline

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:31:57 PM »
High Elves get the same rules as last year (and, I'm pretty sure, the year before that), visible here.  Blakely is taking High Elves this year, btw, so they'll definitely be represented one way or the other.

I'll be there!

:D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:33:51 PM by Kevin »

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 03:18:09 PM »

High Elves get the same rules as last year (and, I'm pretty sure, the year before that),  Blakely is taking High Elves this year, btw, so they'll definitely be represented one way or the other.

Your tournament, your decision.  I must say, I'm disappointed though. 

I guess it's Orc's then.  LOL

Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 11:51:01 AM »
Trying to decide whether to take Alexander, Lizardmen, Orcs, or Wuxing at Championship.  Probably nobody cares, but if anyone wants to throw in their 2 cents I'm all ears!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:56:55 AM by Kevin »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 11:54:15 AM »
I'm pretty much at the same place I was at a few months ago.

70% Ravenwood, 20% Dwarves, 10% something else.
-Rush, Dreamline

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 03:09:31 PM »
Kevin:  lizardmen.  I want to see a T-Rex stand and shoot build!!

On a sidenote, just no way I can come.  Our furnace just died, so bought a new one and a new AC, to go along with the new car I just Sharon since he mighty neon died, so just don't have the funds.

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
Kevin:  lizardmen.  I want to see a T-Rex stand and shoot build!!

I could park some Hatchlings directly in front of it.  9 turns later:  "The Hatchings are finally all squashed and the other side is softened up.  Release the Land-Kraken!"  ;D

Sucks that you can't make it, though I totally get why.  (That sucks, too.  New furnace--ouch!)

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:45:13 PM by Kevin »