Author Topic: Persian Royal Guard - Broken or Balanced?  (Read 3914 times)

BubblePig

Re: Persian Royal Guard - Broken or Balanced?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 04:22:07 PM »
Just might be able to pull it off with two RG backing up a Scythed Chariots, but most likely that's too tough to pull off in practice since the Chariots' can't get their speed capped.  But man would the table get flipped if you can pull that off!  :)
Actually, I was thinking of ways pull something similar to this very maneuver, and there is one version that would be gloriously table-flip-o-riffic if I can get it to work.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 04:25:31 PM by BubblePig »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 02:31:39 PM »
 I'm a bit nervous that it's open to abuse, such as assigning a Royal Guard to back up an Elephant (speed capped at 3.5), but keeping it mostly to the side so that it backs it up while covering its flank

EEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEEEEEEEEEEE            RR
EEEEEEEEEEEEE      RRRRRRR
EEEEEEEEEEEEE  RRRRRRRRRRR
                    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
                 RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
                      RRRRRRRRRR
                          RRRRRR
                              RR

Or something like that.  Elephant slams into its target and puts it instantly into the yellow.  Royal Guard Powers Up and engages on your next turn.

Just might be able to pull it off with two RG backing up a Scythed Chariots, but most likely that's too tough to pull off in practice since the Chariots' can't get their speed capped.  But man would the table get flipped if you can pull that off!  :)
See, I think that's more a testament to the general wonkiness of the backup rule, which I was never satisfied with.  I never thought that a corner should count as the rear of a unit for purposes of backing something up.  Ideally you'd need to have the backup unit actually touching the rear facing side of the unit being backed up.  That's a different conversation for the next edition of the rules. 

And that would be really difficult to pull off with the Chariots because they cannot be given a standing order modifier.  So they will be moving at a 5" unless something funky happens.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 04:39:42 PM »
This seems like something that I'd do...

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX                                                   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX         
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX                                                   XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
                          YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY    YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
                                         ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
                                         ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
                                         ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
                                         ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
                                         ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
                                         ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The 'X' units are whatever, 3.5 movers.  Whatever the typical line units are.
The 'Y' units are the Scythe chariots, just on charge.  There is enough room for both of them at any point to slide over and fit in between.  (The idea being I can fit them in to match when the 3.5 movers are going to engage.  Heck, probably just move them dead forward from there...whatever.  If I thought I would be going second, might even have them moved up some.
The 'Z' unit is the Royal.

So, while my Royals might get outrun some, they'd catch up one turn later. 

Now, here is where it gets weird...at least in my mind.  I could see one of the Scythes putting the opponent into the yellow.  And, I could see a different Scythe unit actually losing.  So, the Royal is activated by one Scythe, but actually ends up backing up a different one.