Author Topic: The Inventori  (Read 2163 times)

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
The Inventori
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:26:13 AM »
The Inventori

Introduction V 3.0
The people of Venetio were never adept at magic, and thus they were inevitably conquered by others who had a better understanding of arcane energy.  Even the discovery of gunpowder did not free the Venetiori.  Then, the fate of that people changed forever, for a brilliant, young inventor discovered how to build great machines powered by steam and gears.  After the invention of machines, the use of magic was eschewed by the Venetiori, and those who understood the machines were elevated.  Ever after, the Venetiori were known as the Inventori.

Army Abilities
   Volley Fire: You may spend a command action to mark a Volley Fire box.  You may erase the mark before you roll to hit. If that attack is a Ranged attack, your unit gets +1/0/0. If this attack deals a damage, it deals another damage. If the attack is not a Ranged attack, your unit merely gets +2/0/0. This counts as playing a command card.

Gunpowder Weaponry: When units with this keyword would cause Disruption Checks, they cause Rout Checks.

Arquebusier: For units with this keyword, Short Range ends at 5”, and these units are Line of Sight and may not Move and Shoot.

Mechanical: If this unit is engaged during the Pre-Combat Courage Phase, it takes a Courage Check. If it fails, it is dealt one damage.

Units
   Inventore Swordsmen (Core)  5/5/5  2/2  R-  C-12  M-3.5”  4/3/3  P-195  C-8
Equipment: Sword, Steel, Light Plate Mail
These Inventore defend their nation with solid steel rather than gunpowder.

Inventore Halberdiers (Core)  6*/5*/6*  1/2  R-  C-12  M-3.5”  4/3/3  P-215  C-6
-1/0/0 while Charging.  0/+1/0 against Cavalry and/or Large Units.  0/0/+1 while holding against Charging Cavalry and/or Charging Large Units.
Equipment: Halberd, Light Plate Mail

Inventore Arquebusiers (Core)  7*/5/5  1/2  C-13  R-10.5”  M-3.5” 4/4/2  P-270  C-8
Gunpowder Weaponry. Arquebusier. -2/0/0 while engaged.  
Equipment: Arquebus, Sword, Light Plate Mail
The noise of exploding powder is too much for many invaders of Inventore lands.

Inventore Shock Troops (Core)  5/5/6  1/3  R-  C-13  M-3.5”  5/3/4  P-280  C-6
Mechanical. Large. Fearsome.
Equipment: Great Sword, Steam-powered Armor
Inside their massive steam-powered suits of armor, these soldiers feel invincible.

Inventore Assault Troops (Core)  4*/5/6  1/3  R-14”  C-13  M-3.5”  5/3/4  P-325  C-6
Mechanical. Large. Fearsome. Gunpowder Weaponry. Arquebusier. This unit may Move and Shoot.  +1/0/0 while engaged.  
Equipment: Great Arquebus, Great Sword, Steam-powered Armor
Powered armor and muskets are a deadly combination.

Inventore Cavalry  5*/5/5*  2*/1  R-5”  C-12  M-6”  2/2/2  P-280  C-6
Cavalry.  Gunpowder Weaponry. Ranged Attack is Line of Sight. +1/0/0 while engaged. 0/0/+1 and +1/0 while charging (in addition to the normal Charging Bonuses).
Equipment: Short Musket, Saber, Light Plate Mail. Mount: Riding Horse
These riders are trained for both ranged and melee combat.

Inventore Knights  6/6/5*  2*/2  R-  C-13  M-5”  3/2/2  P-320  C-4
Cavalry. 0/0/+1 and +1/0 while charging.
Equipment: Lance, Sword, Light Plate Mail. Mount: Warhorse

Inventore Grenadiers  4/6*/7*  1/2  R-3.5”  C-12  M-3.5”  3/3/2  P-325  C-4
Gunpowder Weaponry. 0/-2/-3 while engaged.  
Equipment: Grenades, Short Sword, Light Plate Mail

Mechanics  3/4/3  1/1  R-  C-11  M-3.5”  2/2/2  P-85  C-6
During your turn, if this unit is Unengaged at the end of the Movement and Command Phase, you may repair one damage from a friendly mechanical unit that this unit is backing up.
Equipment: Dagger, Wrench, Worker’s Clothes
Though these men are untrained for combat, they serve a vital role in keeping the machinery of the Inventore functioning.

Cannon Battery (Elite)  4*/5*/8*  1/1  R-17.5”  C-12  M-2.5”  2/2/2  P-320  C-4
Gunpowder Weaponry. No Inventor’s Armory Box. -1/-2/-5 while Engaged. Cannot Move and Shoot. Ranged attack uses the “Low Arc” rules.
Equipment: Short Sword, Leather Armor

Steam-Powered Gunship (Elite)  4/5/6  2/1  R-5”  C-13  M-5”  2/2/2  P-  C-4
Mechanical. Large. Gunpowder Weaponry. Ranged attack is LOS.  This unit is always flying. Remove this unit at the beginning of any turn that this unit's controller has no Inventore units, other than Steam-powered Gunship units, in play.
Design Note: The Gunship will be oriented on its card like the Goblin Bomb-Chucker.  

Steam-Powered Tank (Elite)  3*/5*/8*  1/4  R-14”  C-13  M-3.5”  8/3/4  P-475  C-4
Mechanical. Colossal. Terrifying. Gunpowder Weaponry. +2/+1/-1 when engaged. Ranged Attack is LOS.
If shooting the enemy fails, run them over.

Cards
   Overchargex2
Play during an attack before you roll to hit.  Your unit gets +1/+1/+1.  After the attack is over, your unit receives one damage.
   Black Smokex2
Play during an attack before your opponent rolls to hit. Your unit gains +2/0.  Play only if your unit is not in green health.
   Heart of Metalx2
Play during an attack before your opponent rolls to hit. Your unit gains +1/+1.  Play only if your unit is not in green health.
   Explosive Deathx2
Play after one of your units is destroyed.  All units that were engaged with it take an immediate attack at 3/6/6.
   Battlefield Inventionx2  
One of your units permanently gains +1/0/0 while engaged.  No unit may be affected by both Battlefield Inventions.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:30:47 AM by Fingolfin »
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Steel for humans, silver for monsters, gold for the witcher.

Karasu

• Playtester
Re: The Inventori
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 10:49:42 AM »
I have to admit that whenever I was doing something with guns (see Shadows of the Apt and Samurai Period factions in this forum) my default was (X) 5 / 7.  My logic was that guns were at least partially responsible for the reduction of heavy armour, because the bullets would go through heavy stuff as easily as light.  Also, it distinguishes them from Longbows and Bowmasters.

Can I also point out another thing I did for 'armour' units: Attacks with 4 or less Power cannot damage them.

Explosive Death: Logically, would it not be better to say "in contact with" rather than "engaged with"?
Also, I have been argued out of automatic damage a couple of times for cards or command abilities. 
It might be better as a (3) 6 / 6 attack.

Battlefield Invention: I think it's worthwhile looking at the templating of the rules for Alexander's Heroes forgetting this to work properly.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 12:05:13 PM »
FWIW, its not that firearms brought about the end of heavy armor.  Most early firearms could be stopped pretty easily by plate armor.  Furthermore its not the penetrative power of a ranged weapon that ended the era of heavy armor.  Heck, crossbows existed centuries before firearms supplanted them and crossbows could penetrate the armor of the period.  They heydey of the crossbow (12th-15th century) is also the heydey of "knights in shining armor."  So it can't be that the firearm, a weapon with less penetrating power, is what brought down heavy armor.

What really brought about the end of the heavily armored knight was early conscription[1].  As more & more commoners could be fielded as an effective force (that last part is important), the much more expensive knight simply couldn't compete.  Originally, those commoners fought as pikemen & crossbowmen.  However eventually the firearm supplanted the crossbow[2] because it was cheaper to build and easier to train someone to use.  So the thing that killed the heavily armored knight is the zerg rush.  He was simply outnumbered 20-1.  Moreover, even if he managed to kill those twenty guys before he died, a captain could go grab a fresh batch of farm boys with the enticements of women, money, & adventure (in that order) rather than the hard life of a farmer.  Then spend 3-6 months training them and they were ready to go, versus the literal lifetime (and fortune) it would take to train & equip a knight.

If I were going to model firearms, I'd give them a (x)4/5 with a 10.5" or 14" range, LOS of course.  They were wildly inaccurate, hence the Skill 4.  "Skilled" shooters would be Off Skill 5.  I'd also be tempted to give them 5 attack dice, maybe even 6.  I'd probably make them unable to move & shoot.

Where I'd incorporate the special rule is to make a unit take a rout check every time they are fired on by a gunpowder unit, regardless of the damage.  Early firearms were a psychological weapon, and the biggest effect they had was they were loud, and scary, and inflicted horrific-looking wounds.  They were a terror weapon as much as anything else.  Having the enemy take a rout check when fired at means that in most cases the enemy will only be Disrupted if they fail, which is spot-on accurate.  It does mean that if you manage to get a shot on an engaged unit, you could rout them without inflicting any damage (by either unit!), but being a LOS weapon that's hard to do.  But then again, enfilading fire was so effective it's an actual military term...

[1]  And what allowed for their to be an excess of labor such that it was possible for young men to leave the farm to go die was advancements in agriculture.  Things like crop rotation & the collar harness for plows allowed for more efficient farming, which allowed for an excess labor.  Doesn't quite have the same ring as 'video killed the radio god' but yes, crop rotation killed the knight.

[2] and firearms supplanted the longbow for the reason that the training was less.  Longbowmen were like knights:  it took a lifetime to build up the physical strength.  Firearms:  cheaper than crossbows, and a fraction of the learning curve of longbows.

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 01:30:27 PM »
I apologize for the lateness of this response.

I have to admit that whenever I was doing something with guns (see Shadows of the Apt and Samurai Period factions in this forum) my default was (X) 5 / 7.  My logic was that guns were at least partially responsible for the reduction of heavy armour, because the bullets would go through heavy stuff as easily as light.  Also, it distinguishes them from Longbows and Bowmasters.

Battlefield Invention: I think it's worthwhile looking at the templating of the rules for Alexander's Heroes forgetting this to work properly.

As I already said, I made firearms a 6 skill because they go through shields.  As for Battlefield Invention, it seems fairly straightforward.

If I were going to model firearms, I'd give them a (x)4/5 with a 10.5" or 14" range, LOS of course.  They were wildly inaccurate, hence the Skill 4.  "Skilled" shooters would be Off Skill 5.  I'd also be tempted to give them 5 attack dice, maybe even 6.  I'd probably make them unable to move & shoot.

Where I'd incorporate the special rule is to make a unit take a rout check every time they are fired on by a gunpowder unit, regardless of the damage.  Early firearms were a psychological weapon, and the biggest effect they had was they were loud, and scary, and inflicted horrific-looking wounds.  They were a terror weapon as much as anything else.  Having the enemy take a rout check when fired at means that in most cases the enemy will only be Disrupted if they fail, which is spot-on accurate.  It does mean that if you manage to get a shot on an engaged unit, you could rout them without inflicting any damage (by either unit!), but being a LOS weapon that's hard to do.  But then again, enfilading fire was so effective it's an actual military term...

Please note that the Inventori use muskets, not earlier firearms.  As such, they have a higher penetration and accuracy.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:32:08 PM by Fingolfin »
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 03:28:58 PM »
Please note that the Inventori use muskets, not earlier firearms.  As such, they have a higher penetration and accuracy.

Well, its a fantasy faction and your own creation, so you do what you want.  But for the record, any pre-rifled firearm is considered "early."  The British "Brown Bess" musket (used until the 1860s) had an effective range of 100 yards (being generous).  Compare that to a longbow & heavy crossbow whose effective range was about 200 yards.

As for shooting right through shields, just because it penetrates the shield doesn't mean the shield has zero effect.  Have you ever seen this armor on pictures of Roman soldiers?  (Here's a picture of it being worn)  That armor is the primary groin protection they wore, and just those straps was enough to disperse like half the energy behind the attack.

Now bullets will move much faster, but shields are also sturdier than a couple of straps with metal bits.  Also the higher speed of the musket ball means that its actually more likely to ricochet.  So those shields wouldn't actually be useless.

Again, your faction, you do what you want.  And if you'd rather the firearms be Magic Death Rays like they're most often depicted, rather than something closer to reality, no worries.   ;D

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 04:20:28 PM »
  And if you'd rather the firearms be Magic Death Rays like they're most often depicted, rather than something closer to reality, no worries.   ;D

Lol.

I do think that I will make the firearms skill 5 and reduce their range.

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 09:14:55 PM »
I have updated the faction using much of Hannibal's advice, so let me know your thoughts.

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
Updated to Version 3.0.