Author Topic: The Vernen Empire  (Read 1636 times)

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
The Vernen Empire
« on: September 20, 2015, 07:47:27 PM »
This is my first fan faction, so comments and criticism are very welcome.  Enjoy!

The Vernen Empire V 2.0

Introduction
The Vernen Empire is a wealthy eastern realm that sits on large deposits of iron and gold that give it both wealth and weapons of war.  They welcome outcasts of other nations, most notably exiled Dwarves and outcast Dark Elves.  The armor smiths of Verne rival those of the dwarves, but the men of the Vernen Empire are not skilled fighters. The Empire must, therefore, conscript soldiers. Those who are forced to fight are mostly half-breeds, rejected by Vernen society and looked down upon by other races.  Even though morale among the half-breed soldiers is often low, desertion is uncommon, since the half-breeds have nowhere to go.

Army Ability
Forged Steel. You may spend a command action to mark the Forged Steel Box. While that Box is marked, that unit gains +1 courage. Units that are not Cavalry or Large receive -1/0/0 when attacking that unit. The mark is erased if the unit routs.

Units
   Vernen Swordsmen (Core)  5/4/5  2/3  R-  C-12  M-3.5”  4/3/3  P-195  C-8
Equipment: Sword, Shield, Plate Mail
Vernen Soldiers rely on heavy armor rather than skill at arms to carry the field.

Vernen Spearmen (Core)  6*/4*/5*  2/3  R-  C-12  M-3.5”  4/3/3  P-215  C-6
-1/0/0 while Charging.  0/+1/0 against Cavalry and/or Large Units.  0/0/+2 while holding against Charging Cavalry and/or Charging Large Units.
Equipment: Spear, Shield, Plate Mail

Vernen Archers (Core)  4/4*/5*  1/2  R-14”  C-12  M-3.5”  3/3/2  P-135  C-4
0/-2/-2 while engaged.
Equipment: Bow, Short Sword, Light Plate Mail
Some archers are almost as skilled as the elves. Vernen archers are the opposite.

Half-Dwarven Battleaxemen (Core)  5/4/6  1/3  R-  C-11  M-2.5”  3/5/4  P-175  C-6
No Forged Steel Box.
Equipment: Battleaxe, Plate Mail
Unable to escape the armies of the Empire, these half-dwaves channel their rage into their axe swings.

Half-Elven Swordsmen (Core)  5/5/5  2/2  R-  C-11  M-3.5”  3/4/3  P-170  C-6
No Forged Steel Box.
Equipment: Sword, Shield, Light Plate Mail
Conscripted by the Empire, these soldiers fight in the hope that they might one day return to their families.

Vernen Militia (Core)  5/3/5  2/2  R-  C-11  M-3.5”  4/3/3  P-120  C-8
The armor of these militia matches the armor of other nations’ regulars. This compensates for their failure to ever actually kill anything.

Half-Dwarven Pikes  7*/5*/5*  1*/3  R-  C-11  M-1.75”  3/5/4  P-190  C-6
No Forged Steel Box. -2/0/0 while Charging.  0/+1/0 against Cavalry and/or Large Units.  0/0/+2 while holding against Charging Cavalry and/or Charging Large Units. +1/0 vs. Cavalry and/or Large units.
Equipment: Pike, Plate Mail
Pike walls prove to be an effective deterrent to enemy cavalry, but getting them into position is often a problem.

Half-Elven Cavalry  6/5/5*  2*/2  R-  C-11  M-6”  2/2/2  P-230  C-6
Cavalry.  0/0/+1 and +1/0 while Charging (in addition to the normal Charging Bonuses). No Forged Steel Box.
Equipment: Spear, Sword, Shield, Light Plate Mail. Mount: Riding Horse

Half-Dwarven Veterans (Elite)  5/5/6  1/3  R-  C-11  M-2.5”  3/5/4  P-225  C-4
No Forged Steel Box.
Equipment: Battleaxe, Plate Mail
Veterans of a hundred battles, these half-dwarves are among the most skilled of their kind.

Half-Elven Blademasters (Elite)  5/6/5  2/2  R-  C-11  M-3.5”  3/4/3  P-215  C-4
No Forged Steel Box.
The most gifted half-elves are given intensive training by hired Dark Elf instructors. Those that survive become Blademasters.

Imperial Guard (Elite)  5/5/5  3/3  R-  C-13  M-3.5”  4/3/3  P-290  C-4
Equipment: Sword, Shield, Plate Mail
These soldiers guard the emperor with their lives, and often fight in particularly important battles.

Vernen Knights (Elite)  6/5/6*  2*/3  R-  C-13  M-5”  3/2/2  P-360  C-4
Cavalry.  0/0/+1 and +1/0 while Charging (in addition to the normal Charging Bonuses).
Equipment: Lance, Sword, Shield, Plate Mail. Mount: Barded Warhorse

Cards
Master Armor Smithsx2
Play during an attack before your opponent rolls to hit.  The enemy unit gets -1/0/0 and your unit gains 0/+2.  
Hold for the Empirex2
Play during an attack before your opponent rolls to hit.  The enemy unit gets -2/0/0, or the enemy unit gets -1/0/0 and your unit gains 0/+1.  
Shield Wallx2
Play during an attack before your opponent rolls to hit. Your unit gains +2/-1.
Stand Firmx2
Play during an attack before your opponent rolls to hit. Your unit gains 0/+2 for this attack and +1 courage for the turn.
Stand and Fightx2
Play after one of your units has failed a rout check. If it is not marked, mark that unit's Forged Steel Box. That unit rerolls the rout check.  

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:32:00 AM by Fingolfin »
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Steel for humans, silver for monsters, gold for the witcher.

Kevin

• Playtester
Re: The Vernen Empire
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 10:51:54 PM »
Not bad.  I like the almost-all-blue cards.

Having a hard time swallowing an elite "Imperial Guard" being skill 4, but besides that a nice flavor for a faction that has playability without getting too weird.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 08:04:23 AM »
Now that I think on it, the Imperial Guard should be both elite and have 5 skill. I'll edit that.
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
Defintiely has a unique flavor, kudo's for that! I must admit, a mostly defensive faction doesn't get me real excited to play it. At least on first glance. I would have to see it in action before I jumped on board. Of course, such a faction is almost the antithesis of the Orc faction, so I might be a bit biased. ;D
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

BubblePig

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:48:48 PM »
Okay, so nice flavor, but I am going to go really mathy on you. My two cents is that courage 10, while it makes your units good and cheap, is also a real pain in the butt when they run like sheep (which they will more than half the time.) Note that in the chart below, which is also a link to the site I swiped it from, a 10 courage is going to take anything except a pinch check at -1 for in the yellow, so at a 9 they will only hold 37.5% of the time best case scenario, whereas at 11 courage checking at a 10 it would at least be a coin flip at 50%.

Even at courage 11 it that makes the idea of marking the forged steel box seem not worth as much as drawing a card, especially when the deck is stacked with blue cards. I would probably give the courage 11 units no Forged Steel box since they probably won't use it and they will be cheaper with no faction ability, though it might be interesting to play test them and see if maybe it is worth marking that box for the militia.

Edit: the link went dead so I swiped the image somewhere else
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 04:33:17 PM by BubblePig »

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 01:33:07 PM »
Okay, so nice flavor, but I am going to go really mathy on you. My two cents is that courage 10, while it makes your units good and cheap, is also a real pain in the butt when they run like sheep (which they will more than half the time.) Note that in the chart below, which is also a link to the site I swiped it from, a 10 courage is going to take anything except a pinch check at -1 for in the yellow, so at a 9 they will only hold 37.5% of the time best case scenario, whereas at 11 courage checking at a 10 it would at least be a coin flip at 50%.

I think you're right about the 10 courage for the half-blood units.  I'll bump that up.  I'd rather not take away the Forged Steel from the militia since it doesn't make to much sense from a theme perspective, and it might be useful on them occasionally.

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 01:35:57 PM »
By the way, I really like the 3d6 probabilities chart.  I've never actually seen something like it.

BubblePig

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 05:44:44 PM »
I think you're right about the 10 courage for the half-blood units.  I'll bump that up.  I'd rather not take away the Forged Steel from the militia since it doesn't make to much sense from a theme perspective, and it might be useful on them occasionally.
I would be more inclined to take the Forged Steel from the archers anyway. Like I said Forged Steel might be worthwhile or at least worth the flavor on the militia (although less than top end equipment for militia could be justified pretty easily IMO.) Forged Steel on the archers may be worth more flavor but it would bump up their price for essentially zero utility.

By the way, I really like the 3d6 probabilities chart.  I've never actually seen something like it.
Yeah, I think the site I got it from is the efforts of a WH40K fan to simplify aspects of what they call the "mathhammer" for better comprehension. I never got into WH40K myself, it is just one of the first links that popped up when I googled "3d6 probabilities" and that histogram was a pretty efficient way of explaining what I meant.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 05:55:16 PM by BubblePig »

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 08:09:03 PM »
I would be more inclined to take the Forged Steel from the archers anyway. Like I said Forged Steel might be worthwhile or at least worth the flavor on the militia (although less than top end equipment for militia could be justified pretty easily IMO.) Forged Steel on the archers may be worth more flavor but it would bump up their price for essentially zero utility.
My problem with taking Forged Steel from the archers is that it violates the precedent already set. Dwarven archers and ballistae can receive the Rune of Uruz even though it doesn't get them anything, and Umenzi Atlatlmen can be Faith Armored even though most of the time it's useless. 

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 02:38:37 PM »
Updated to V 2.0.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:32:33 AM by Fingolfin »