Author Topic: My flying suggestions  (Read 1063 times)

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
My flying suggestions
« on: March 12, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
I have a possible solution for flying unit play in battleground.

Why not say that for a flying unit to engage in any meaningful way it needs to land and then engage like every other unit.

However, if it wants to swoop down on it's enemy it can just "fly over" it's chosen target and do an automatic point of damage.  You do this by lining up the chosen target with the attacking flying unit, just as if you were final rushing from the ground.  Then the flying unit continues on and is placed on the defending units opposite side facing away.  The unit being attacked by the flying unit gets a return attack without a charge bonus and if the unit is already engaged with another unit it must choose who it will return attack.

Oh, and btw...the flying unit would have to be direct controlled to make this "swoop" attack and the defending unit must be in the flying units forward arc.  In addition, the damage that is done on a swoop attack can not be prevented(with command cards, faith armor, etc)

Some other rules that could be applied.

1. Being attacked by a ground unit and a "swooping unit" does not count as being pinched.
2. Colossal flying units (i.e. Ancient red dragons) do an automatic 2 points of damage, instead of one.
3. If the return attack of a ground unit causes a rout check and the flying unit fails the check, the flying unit must land at the end of the turn and become disrupted.  It could take off again, on the next owning players turn if desired and if two command actions are used to un-disrupt it.
4. Swoop attacks do not cause the opponent to roll a fearsome/terrifying check but can cause a rout check (if also engaged with a ground unit or a disruption check if not engaged)
5.  Ranged units, before they are swooped down upon,  can get a ranged attack against the flying unit with a point blank bonus of +1/+1. This attack can occur no matter if the ranged unit is attacked on the front, flanked or rear attacked.
6.  Obviously,  flying units still gets a fast move bonus to it's defensive skill against ranged units.

Not sure if this is optimal, but it would allow flyers to get some bang for their buck while flying without being broken. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 10:46:31 AM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: My flying suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:55:19 PM »
However, if it wants to swoop down on it's enemy it can just fly over it's chosen target and do an automatic point of damage.  To do this it's movement must go through the entire unit.  You do this by lining up the chosen target with the attacking unit, just as if you were final rushing from the ground.  The opposing unit gets a return attack, then the flying unit continues on, while maintaining it's flying status with the rest of it's movement.  If the chosen unit is already engaged with an enemy unit, it chooses who it attacks that turn as if it was engaged with more than one unit on the ground.

I would limit the amount of times a flyer could do this in a game.  Off the cuff I'd say twice.  If we ever release a cheap flying unit and you could do this an unlimited amount of times, you'd do the swoop attack an never land it.

3. If the return attack of a ground unit causes a rout check that's failed, the flying unit must land at the end of the turn and it's disrupted.  It could take off again, on the owning players turn if desired and if two command actions are use to un-disrupt it.
I'm thinking that a routing flyer would do its best to get out of dodge.  Landing a routing unit that's already airborne doesn't make sense.

"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: My flying suggestions
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2017, 08:58:17 AM »
However, if it wants to swoop down on it's enemy it can just fly over it's chosen target and do an automatic point of damage.  To do this it's movement must go through the entire unit.  You do this by lining up the chosen target with the attacking unit, just as if you were final rushing from the ground.  The opposing unit gets a return attack, then the flying unit continues on, while maintaining it's flying status with the rest of it's movement.  If the chosen unit is already engaged with an enemy unit, it chooses who it attacks that turn as if it was engaged with more than one unit on the ground.

I would limit the amount of times a flyer could do this in a game.  Off the cuff I'd say twice.  If we ever release a cheap flying unit and you could do this an unlimited amount of times, you'd do the swoop attack an never land it.

3. If the return attack of a ground unit causes a rout check that's failed, the flying unit must land at the end of the turn and it's disrupted.  It could take off again, on the owning players turn if desired and if two command actions are use to un-disrupt it.
I'm thinking that a routing flyer would do its best to get out of dodge.  Landing a routing unit that's already airborne doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking a weenie air unit wont last too long if it gets attacked.  Remember, the unit that is being "swooped on" gets a return attack. 

On your second point. The flying unit that fails a rout check loses it's ability to fly temporarily because perhaps it's wings got hurt.  Or maybe there should be a risk to flying units if they  continue to swoop down on ground units.  Or make them rout away in the air.  Whatever, either suggestion makes sense to me. 
Where's this shade, that you got it made?