Author Topic: Swapped rulebooks, customs inspections and the joys of publishing  (Read 7229 times)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: Swapped rulebooks, customs inspections and the joys of publishing
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
I'm wondering what the marketing difference is between starter/reinforcement vs. the whole shootin' match. I bought a couuple of starters first, and then when it got a tumbs up in terms of the system (about one game later :)) I bought entire armies. I'm thinking just start with the Hawks, Dwarves, and Orcs with beginner and reinforcement decks, and then go combined larger box full army sets for the rest. From a retailer's perspective its got to seem like a lot less stock and shelf space to have just a couple of starter armies and then a few entire armies vs. a complete starter and reinforcement selection plus the reorder headaches (cause you know everybody wants what you're out of).

So, to restate, my move would be to have just the three intro packs and then go full army ala Rome v Carthage size boxes, for the rest. $30 for a complete army is not unreasonable. It is certainly not even an eyeblink to somebody already invested in the system. I would push the whole "cheaper than an army of minis and beautiful artwork" thing. Maybe even put some extras in an army box and make it a little bigger and then, when all that is taken out, you have a box right sized for sleeved cards, and of course, mention that on the box. What extras? Maybe a couple of dice (or four) and appropriately themed measuring cards. As you well know, people will put up with a higher price if it means quality components.

Then for all us old grognards in the forum you could offer a complete set of empty boxes to house our troops in. ;)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
Maybe sleeved boxes are the right way to think about it.  Ultra-Pro "Deck Vaults" hold 82 sleeved cards (not quite a full starter plus reinforcement, but 52 unit cards plus the command deck would be enough for most).  I'm putting in an email to them now to see what kind of volume is necessary to get a sensible price.  Robert also did a licensed box for Ascension so I'll get the info for the company that did that for him as well.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 10:52:58 PM »

WOTC did some plastic promo Rise of the Eldrazi deckboxes that are basically exactly the right size for 100 sleeved cards (I use them for my EDH decks.)  I'll show them to you next time I see you; they'd be a really neat thing to get for Battleground, I think.