Author Topic: Council of 5 Nations XXXVIII Oct 2-4 2015 (New thread)  (Read 2960 times)

Kevin

• Playtester
Council of 5 Nations XXXVIII Oct 2-4 2015 (New thread)
« on: August 28, 2015, 08:28:38 AM »
Posting a new thread so the event book has something to link to.

----------------------------
We'll be doing this event all day Saturday & Sunday at Co5N, though players are welcome to play for just part of it.

How the event will work:

Players will be assigned a team:  Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, or Chaotic Evil.  Based on historic attendance, we expect that teams will have 2 or 3 players.

People on your team are always allies.  People on the "opposite" team are always opponents.  People on the other two teams can vary.

Let's say you're in team Lawful Evil.  Your fellow Lawful Evil players are always allies.  The Chaotic Good players are always opponents.  Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil players may be allies or opponents.

Let's say a given game has you, a Lawful Good player, and a Chaotic Evil player.  The game will either be Good vs. Evil, or Law vs. Chaos, which would determine which player was your ally and which was your opponent.  Which match it would be will be determined by what if any already have been played.  In other words, if you already played with the Chaotic Evil player as your opponent, the game will be Good vs. Evil so that they can be your ally.

As a player, you may take either one faction, or two factions that correspond with the alignments. For example, if you're team Lawful Evil you may take one "Lawful" faction and one "Evil" faction.  In all Law-vs-Chaos games you must use the Lawful faction.  In all Good-vs-Evil games you must use the "Evil" faction.  (Of you may take a single faction to use in all games.)

Also, if in a 2-on-2 (or a 3-on-3) game at least half of the players wish to play solo, the game will break onto 2 (or 3) separate games, though they'll still count  as a single team game win/loss/draw.

All games are scored win/loss/draw, where "draw" is anything that would get a 3-3 Victory Point split in Kingdoms.

---------------

We'll be doing printed-on-the-cards costs and standard 3.1 rules except for the three rules below.  #II and III were used at the Championship Tournament earlier this year.

I)  High Elves get two tweaks:
One is that Precision won't count as playing a card on engaged attacks.  (It still counts as a card when making ranged attacks.)  The other is that Oathbound is changed to, "Play after a unit fails a courage check.  Reroll the check at +2 and mark a red box on the damage track.  Marking that box does not cause a rout check."

II) Shooting at Big Guys Rule:  
Choose one each time your unit makes an attack:  

- You get the bonus to hit a Large/Colossal target and forfeit the right to play Command Cards on this attack.

- You don’t get the bonus to hit Large/Colossal and may play Command Cards normally.  “May play cards normally” means as per normal game rules for that unit.  This includes using faction abilities that count as playing Command Cards.

Units which may not play cards while attacking (e.g. Goblin Bomb Chucker) get the Large/Colossal target bonuses.  (In essence, they must choose the first option).  Dark Elves shooting at a Witching Hour'd unit are treated as having played a card so do not get the Large/Colossal target bonuses.

III)  Mercenary Rules
Mercenaries may be taken under the following rules:

1a)  Fantasy factions other than M&M may take the following units (only) as mercenaries:  All units with at least one Spoils box, and Stone Monkeys.
1b)  Anyone playing the Monsters & Mercenaries faction designates one printed fantasy faction as his/her “mercenary” faction for the event.  This faction choice may not be changed.  Within that faction, all Core units costing between 100 and 300 points may be taken as Mercenaries, as well as the Stone Monkeys.   Also, taking mercenary units does not void the 2 free Command Cards per “monster,” nor do mercenary units give free Command Cards.
1c)  Anyone player a Historical Faction may take the following units (only) as mercenaries:  Wildman Swords, Wildman Archers, Wildman Horse Archers, Spartan Hoplites.

2)  You may spend no more than 25% of your army build points on Mercenaries.
3)  All mercenary units count as Elite, regardless of what is printed on the cards.
4)  Mercenary units may use their faction abilities for the standard non-mercenary cost (typically this means spending 1 Command action rather than 2.)  However, these abilities may not be pre-bought.  (e.g. Only the M&M player may pre-buy Spoils marks for 15 each.)
5)  The standard mercenary command-card and other rules apply:  Mercenaries only may be affected by the 20 “generic” cards and are not affected by faction-specific abilities.  (e.g. They may not be healed by Umenzi Shamans or receive extra dice from Roman Triarii.)  
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:01:14 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Kevin

• Playtester
Re: Council of 5 Nations XXXVIII Oct 2-4 2015 (New thread)
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »
Roll Call

Please post your attendance status.

Committed
Marcus G.
Kevin B-S.
Brook V.
Steve McC.
Ron P.
Eric S.
Carl H.
Dave C.

Probable
Brett S.
Laurie S.
Jaime G.

Maybe
Rob F.
Bohan L.  
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:23:36 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 11:41:20 PM »
Almost certainly not happening due to the travel time :(, but if I'm in if there's an online component ;).

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 10:54:14 PM »
Brett S. is Committed - I think.
I missed him on my last skim through.
Apologies.
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

BubblePig

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2015, 11:04:15 PM »
Did Brett S. get confused with Tim S.? Because I thought Tim was a maybe at best.

Also, somebody ought to get in touch with Rob in case he booked his hotel for the wrong weekend. I seem to remember he was going to book his hotel a year in advance, which IIRC was before the con got moved back a week (or forward whatever.)

gpman

• Playtester
  • laying low in a blood filled trench
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 02:58:42 PM »
Laurie and I will not make it this year, we have to go to Pittsburgh a few days later. Not enough $$$ for both.
wack falol da rah!

Mexico

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 12:14:55 PM »
Sorry I missed you all this year. I've been away from Battleground since I walked away from TotalCon.

I haven't been checking the forums so I was surprised by the date change. I was looking forward to seeing y'all this weekend, too!