Author Topic: Championship 2016 at Totalcon, Mansfield MA Feb 20-21  (Read 6188 times)

Kevin

• Playtester
Re: Championship 2016 - Discussion
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »
Thanks everyone for posting!  It seems like the least bad thing probably is to do it at Totalcon again...at least if they can give us a better space.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Lance OCasey

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 10:00:25 PM »
I think TotalCon has long since outgrown its hotel, and the winter commute from Cape Cod sucked. But I would still consider getting a room next year and just staying the duration. It would be preferable to Pandemonium.

I would consider Huzzah too. Never been to that one.

I've enjoyed TempleCon in the past, but I worry that it may be getting too big and focused on other stuff to give BG a decent home. I think the hotel is more expensive than TotalCon too, and books up very fast.

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 11:11:31 PM »
I believe if we start lobbying now, we can get a better game room at TotalCon than last year.  Kevin, feel free to involve me with that if necessary.

I am "OK" with the idea of Huzzah.  My big conflict would be that at TotalCon, since so much of the con is RPGs, there is not much I really want to play besides BFW.  At Huzzah, they have lots of Historical Minis, which is a big lure for me.

I am philosophically opposed to supporting TempleCon, so would lobby strenuously against that option.  TempleCon has tried to horn in in TotalCon's action; blatantly so in the past, and less so more recently.  Out of loyalty and support to the TotalCon folks, I see this as a bad option.  And here's another less emotional data point - I believe the hotel that hosts TempleCon is very pricey.  It is a very nice hotel in downtown Providence, RI.  I've actually been there on business.  I don't know how they afford the place, or how the TempleCon attendees afford it.  Do Cosplayers simply have more discretionary income?

New option #1:
We do not need that much space.  Ten 6' tables could host 20 players very comfortably, and up to 40 if we get a stupendous increase in attendance (like when the Amazons get printed, and all those new teenage guys run to buy them because of the appealing artwork...  ;D).

Pick a hotel with these qualities:
1.  Good location (highway/airport/train station access, food access, etc)
2.  Low demand during the time we want the weekend, and thus reasonable room rates
3.  A decent meeting room big enough to fit 8-10 6' tables comfortably.

While I think it is better, BFW does not really ~need~ to piggy-back off a con.  But I do prefer it.

Crazy option #2:
My new house has a 600 sq ft game room.  I have 9 suitable tables and enough chairs.  There are two decent*, reasonably-priced hotels literally within walking distance (5 min walk to the Holiday Inn Express, 10 min walk to the Best Western Sovereign).  There are several good food options within either a 10-minute walk, or a very short drive.  Very close to the highway exit.  10 min to Albany Airport.  The game room is above ground, has lots of natural light, central air conditioning, a big-screen TV, and a 7.1 surround sound system (I like to have nice background music while I play games).  For those that want to go the economy route, you could crash on the pull-out couch, one of two air mattresses, or the carpeted floor. 

Now, with all that being said, I'm not loving the idea of potentially opening my house to total strangers.  If all the attendees were known to us in the BFW community, I'd be totally fine with it.  But there is definitely a chicken-and-egg phenomenon; it we had it at my house, new players would probably be less likely to attend.  So, it's not a great option, but I will at least put it on the table.

(*The Best Western has had recurring problems with Legionnaire's Disease virus - no joke.  A local SciFi con got out of their contract because of this.  But the place is still open and plenty of people stay there.  Rob - if you're reading this, it's the same hotel that hosts the ASL event every winter).

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

Lance OCasey

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 07:06:27 AM »
Dave may be right about lobbying TotalCon early, although they've been pretty clear that the shortage of space drives what they host. A staffer told me last year that they don't bother with CCGs or minis tournaments for that very reason. I think they've just long since outgrown that space.

I believe the hotel that hosts TempleCon is very pricey.  It is a very nice hotel in downtown Providence, RI.  I've actually been there on business.  I don't know how they afford the place, or how the TempleCon attendees afford it.  Do Cosplayers simply have more discretionary income?

I think you're talking about the Biltmore. They only did that for one year in 2009. Since then, they've been out at a Crowne Plaza next to the highway in the 'burbs of Providence. However, it is still more expensive than the TotalCon hotel and books up much faster, despite being a bigger facility.

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 09:30:57 AM »
As much as I like the totalcon hotel I do think they need to find a place with more space.
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »
FYI I emailed my contact, Mark Parenteau, from Totalcon the other day saying we'd like to go back but that we'd really like a better space.  He replied that he's at Gencon at the moment but will write back next week.  Hurry up and wait, as they say.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 11:20:45 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »
Oh yeah, his wife Angelia told me that they'd be doing the GenCon thing.

And in other news, TempleCon is off of the table:
http://templecon.org/16/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=35&Itemid=157
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2015, 08:08:04 AM »
Good news, everyone!  I just heard back from my Totalcon contact (Steven P.)  They're putting is in the main hall in 2016.  So we're definitely on for Totalcon.  Registration is not yet open, but it might not be the worst plan to book your room sooner rather than later.  (The con itself is Feb 18-21.  The Championship Tournament will be Feb. 20-21.)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:32:37 AM by Kevin »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2015, 09:25:40 AM »
-Rush, Secret Touch

Dave-SWA

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2015, 10:58:48 PM »
Received yesterday from the TotalCon email list...

TotalCon 30 will be here before you know it! February 18-21, 2016 at the Holiday Inn in Mansfield, MA. The group code TTC Is now open. Room rates start at $96. Early booking is highly recommended.

Hotel Info
Holiday Inn Mansfield-Foxboro Area   
31 Hampshire Street Mansfield,  Massachusetts  02048 United States
Book online or call: 1 800 972 3381

http://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotels/us/en/mansfield/bosmf/hoteldetail?start=1

Book soon.  It will fill up fast!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 04:47:57 PM by Dave-SWA »
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
www.swa-gaming.org

Dave-SWA

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2015, 11:10:41 PM »
Aargggggh!  >:(

Just called.  Already sold out.

We need to find options.
www.swa-gaming.org

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2015, 07:48:38 AM »
Sold out already?  Man, these gamers don't mess around. :o
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2015, 09:35:17 AM »
Really?  That doesn't sound right.  Last year we where able to book a room just 2 months in advance.  I'm thinking there is an error in their system or something.
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2015, 10:38:23 AM »
Thanks Marcus, for that last post!

I called, like, one minute ago and booked two rooms with no problem at the going rate.  Get on it, guys!

Dave-SWA

Re: Championship 2016 at Totalcon, Mansfield MA, Feb 20-21
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2015, 05:01:32 PM »
OK, I just called again.  Got a double room reserved.  
Maybe getting the night shift phone rep last night was a factor...

About bookings for cons...

Please keep in mind there is a 'cascade' effect.
For years, Carnage (every November in Vermont) had practically the whole hotel to itself.  It filled up nicely, but you could book relatively late.  But as Carnage grew...  

Once they sold out the hotel for two years in a row, the rules of the game changed.  People were trying to book two cons in advance.  If you were standing at the hotel reg desk in 2012, and asked to reserve for 2013, you were told it was already booked solid.  There was a really bad scene where there was a line in the hotel lobby; people lined up for the 'first come first served - we don't take reservations for next year until 12pm on Saturday of the convention.'  It pissed a lot of people off.

Carnage, a victim of their success, soon moved to a significantly more expensive, but larger hotel at the Killington Ski Resort.  People are still paying and booking, or they are staying at one of the very plentiful cheaper places nearby and commuting.

So, the moral of the story...

Now that TotalCon is selling out the hotel again, do not assume you can wait until January to book.  It will sell out fast.  Book now - you can cancel later if your plans change.

-DC
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:03:27 AM by Kevin »
www.swa-gaming.org