Author Topic: Championship 2016 at Totalcon, Mansfield MA Feb 20-21  (Read 6183 times)

Kevin

• Playtester
Championship 2016 at Totalcon, Mansfield MA Feb 20-21
« on: July 27, 2015, 11:38:01 AM »
Update: (August 6)  Championship 2016 will be at Totalcon, where it was last year.  However, this time we will be in the main gaming hall rather than stuck in that gym/storage room.  The con itself goes Thursday Feb. 18 through Sunday Feb. 21; the tournament itself will be Saturday & Sunday.  Registration is not yet open, but it's not a bad idea to book your hotel room.

-------------------

OK guys, I'm up for running Championship gain in 2016, but wanted people's thoughts on venue.

My impression is that Totalcon (where we did it last year as well as 2013) gets a C+.  A double-but annoying drive for me, not-really-doable for Jaime, OK for others.  It's with a hotel, albeit a small one.  But we ended up stuffed in the gym/laundry room.

The other place we've done is was Pandemonium Books and Games in Cambridge.  Ridiculously convenient for me, convenient for Jaime.  A bit less convenient for others as cheap hotels in Boston/Cambridge are an oxymoron.  And as a store there was no drinking allowed.

I'd heard rumors of other cons were it could happen, but am a bit out of the loop on that.

So...what are your thoughts/suggestions?  
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:02:19 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Championship 2016 - Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »
Awesome!  I guess the best way to start would be to revisit Championship 2015

Pros
1 - Everything was self contained.  The convention was in the hotel.  And half a mile away we had a Stop and Shop grocery store, a liquor store, gas station, and other places to eat.  Convenient location.
2 - Decent sized convention.
3 - We had our own dedicated space which was nice
4 - The date worked out well.  At least for our group.  Late February is a winner.  I'm not sure how it works out for others.
5 - Dave and I do have a rapport with the folks running Total Con for whatever good that does us.
6 - I didn't suffer any horrific waves of courage failure this time around.

Cons
1 - The weather really screwed up a lot of things like the commute and especially the parking.  There was really nothing to be done about it, the same thing would have occurred just about anywhere else since the snowfall in February was of biblical proportions.  So that was outside of anybody's control.
2 - Tough commute for Kevin (even though getting a room for Saturday night would have really nullified that ;)  )
3 - Even though we had our own dedicated space, it was in the butthole crack of nowheresville and we felt isolated from the rest of the convention.  That plus Battleground had virtually zero convention presence, which was a shame.
4 - I recall that somebody was having some sort of registration issue.  Was that Jaime?

With all this being said, I could do Total Con again.  I'm not a fan of Pandemonium for 3 legit reasons and 1 silly one:
1 - The afore mentioned hotel affordability/availability thing.
2 - They kick you out before Midnight
3 - While we have a decent amount of space, we're basically playing in a dark basement and the lighting makes my head hurt.
4 - No alcohol.  Not that it should be a big deal and believe me, I'll happily play in a BG event whether I'm straight or sober.  Not nearly as important as 1-3.

Now I did see somebody mentioned that there are other gaming conventions in Southern New England at around that time and I think that's certainly worth exploring.

I did find Temple Con which is in early February in Warwick Rhode Island, but that's an even longer drive for Kevin, Jaime, Blakely, Ron, and other folks from that neck of the woods.  It does look like a pretty neat convention and I can attest that the Hotel is easily accessible with tons of surrounding eateries and stores since it's 5 miles from my Mom's house ;)
http://templecon.org/15/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:43:52 PM by RushAss »
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »
I like total con for one reason - I will be there even if Battleground is not there.  So if it is there I'm guaranteed to be going.  

I am against the store because in my opinion for those of us traveling, having things we can do in addition to battleground makes the trip much more reasonable.  It's a 4 hour drive for me.  When I can show up to total con 1-2 days before BG and do a ton of other things at the con that trip becomes instantly more agreeable.

I think we need to talk to the total con organizers earlier (keep in mind we scheduled with them super late last year and they still found us room) and ask if they can find us a more prime location.  

Rant - I have played in much worse places than the room they stuck us in and it would not have been so [censored] cold if the [censored] role players hadn't kept leaving the [censored] door open for the [censored] racquetball court.  /rant

If we arrange this much sooner in the year and can get some kind of promise for better location I think totalcon is the obvious choice.  If they can't guarantee us a better spot I really think researching other cons is the way to go.  

(sorry Kevin, I really appreciate the effort you put into running this event and I realize how much easier having it at the store makes it but I need more that just BG to justify the trip)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 02:07:09 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 02:02:44 PM »
I'm willing to do Totalcon again.  Let me check if they can get us a different location.  And yeah, I probably should just spring for a hotel room.  (Well, two since Blakely would want one.)

Totalcon is Feb 18-21 (tournament Feb 20-21), 2016.  If that date is a problem, speak now or hold your peace.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:28 PM »
No, the date is not a problem.

OK, I'm really reaching far ahead here, but if you still have Rachel along with you and Blakely, is it possible that they'd share a room?  And I don't know what your thoughts are on rooming with Ron and/or Jaime, but there is always that.

And let me be clear, odds are very good that I'll show up regardless of the venue because Battleground with my pals is still Battleground with my pals regardless of where it is.

-Rush, Secret Touch

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 02:46:39 PM »
temple con looks really cool if total con can't pull through for us
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 02:49:44 PM »
Yeah, I can't even believe that I never knew about it since I spend time in that area about 3-4 times a year.  It does appear to be heavy on the Cosplay, but that never bothered me.  Except when folks dressed up like Steampunk Princesses point at us and say "What is up with those weird guys over there wearing T-shirts and Jeans?..."
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 02:56:27 PM »
I vote for Totalcon and against Pandemonium Games.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »
Well, I vote for Pandemonium games as that works best for me. It is super simple once I get off the plain to get to my hotel and then one more subway stop for the store.

Did I mention the hotel? They have an awesome meeting room that would be available Friday night for pre-con throwdowns.

And it is right next to Harvard so I can lunch with my friend Bill in the faculty dining room.

I'm not rich, but I budget $1500 for this once a year event, so it works for me.

But TempleCon looks pretty great, and I'd be up for that. Hell, I might even drive it if I had a co-driver. Anyone between SaintPaul and Chicago want to go along?
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
Templecon is February 6 - 8.  Does anyone have a problem with those dates?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 01:46:16 PM by Kevin »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 09:30:34 AM »
That was last years set of dates.  I don't know what the dates are for 2016 as of yet.  I will say that it would be pretty awful if they choose that weekend again because that's Super Bowl Sunday.  Last year's convention was the weekend after SB Sunday so hopefully they'll follow suit for 2016.

Anyways, their Facebook page indicates that the dates will be announced shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/TempleCon
-Rush, Secret Touch

BubblePig

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:11:20 PM »
I know march is a problem, but how about April? I think Huzzah in Portland might be in April, which is a bit further north for some folks, but it is also near a major train station and airport.

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 08:00:38 AM »
That was last years set of dates.  I don't know what the dates are for 2016 as of yet.  I will say that it would be pretty awful if they choose that weekend again because that's Super Bowl Sunday.  Last year's convention was the weekend after SB Sunday so hopefully they'll follow suit for 2016.

Anyways, their Facebook page indicates that the dates will be announced shortly.

https://www.facebook.com/TempleCon
What's a Superbowl Sunday? Sounds like a Kellog's Cereal promo.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 09:55:48 AM »
I know march is a problem, but how about April? I think Huzzah in Portland might be in April, which is a bit further north for some folks, but it is also near a major train station and airport.
Huzzah is May 13-15 next year. 

http://www.huzzahcon.com/1/home
-Rush, Secret Touch

Moose

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 12:34:55 PM »
Driving from the South Jersey/Philadelphia area to Portland would be way too far for me. Anything north of Boston would make Championship a no-go for me.