Author Topic: Anyone having the Command card texts (planning to translate them for my group)?  (Read 1806 times)

Joe Kundlak

Hi guys,

I recently dived into B:FW and already bought Hawkswood, Ravenswood + Orcs and Undead are on the way as well, all with the Reinforcement pack  ;) (that is the limit of the local shop).

As the preparatory work for my Slovak translations (to be able to play with the local group), has anyone collected the Command card texts into a spreadsheet perhaps?

I was only able to find an old one on Boardgamegeek, which is clearly outdated and thus would be more work to correct than to write that anew.

Instead of scanning all the cards and translating from pictures, I could use a CAT tool (Computer Aided Translation) to load the english text into a file and translate from there (it eases the job immensely, for instance by giving you options to reuse similar previous translations, or by the possibilty to create your own Dictionary to keep your keyword translations consistent etc.).

If anyone knows of such a file, it would be a huge help!

I will of course do the factions I have, does not make much sense to tackle the whole deal, when I am not able to play it all...

Thx again and kudos to the authors and the community for keeping the game alive and well! And looking forward to a reprint as well!

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
This may be only slightly related, but if you are interested, I could bind a full size 3.1 rulebook for you. All the older decks have the earlier rules, and if you're really getting into it you'll want the latest and clearest set of rules. I know that they are available on-line, but that can be a serious pain to read and you can't make notes to yourself and what not. I don't ask any money, but I always let overseas folks know my shipping costs so they can reimburse me through Paypal if they want to.

I feel it is nice to have a full size rulebook rather than just the deck size that comes in the box. I am sorry, as of this time I am unable to translate a Slovak version. I speak Finnish, Spanish, and German like a native (if that native is two years old), but no Slovak. My wife and I spent a week in Prague a couple of years ago, and I studied Czech for a few months, but I don't even remember simple greetings at this point. :P
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Not related to the topic and I don't know of such a file at this time - but welcome joeyeti  :)
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Joe Kundlak

Thx guys and for the nice welcome!

There is already a Czech version of the 3.0 rules, so I am going through that and correcting as per the changes in the latest 3.1 PDF. It will take a month or two to do it, but I like to do such assignments, call me a "dedicated boardgamer" :) Anytime I procure a new boardgame, I scour teh interwebz and find whatever I can to either help me understand the game or all those various reference sheets etc.

So in terms of rules I am fine with what I will do with the Czech version (and then print it at work B/W), it is just the Command cards (and to a lesser extent also the Unit cards themselves), that need a full translation. But no worries! This is not the first such project, I am able to work with what I have as well. I might end up scanning my cards and trying an OCR pass on them to get the text out... Or just translate by reading :)

Joe Kundlak

Found a solution. The file with the outdated Command cards from a few years back was somehow weird (could not export it as a Text file easily) so I exported it as 600dpi images instead, loaded those into an online OCR and got DOC versions out of that. Now I am working into copying the card text into an Excel sheet, updating the cards that are errata-ed. Will post a link afterwards for the folk to check it out for any errors etc.

Joe Kundlak

Not really 100% to the original topic, but related anyway - I finally managed to finish the 3.1 translation of the Czech rules (based on the 3.0 version from a different guy).

The online CAT tool really helped to parse the english text and copy (where applicable) or tweak/create new text segments (where the rules were updated between versions or new rules were introduced).

I will also start translating the cards, mainly for the decks I have (Lizardmen Starter and Monsters&Mercenaries Starter were added to my collection inbetween). That will be another lenghty process (remember I talked about 1-2 months above? yeah? well, real life took a toll on that promise :)), but I will get there. Perhaps even before the newer version is out!

Ostegun

That is awesome. Cheers.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

Joe Kundlak

With the help from Kevin I now have all the texts for the BFW Command Cards. I did not include the Historical Command Cards as I do not have any faction thereof (but if someone could provide the texts, I can add them to the spreadsheet).

See Command Card summary spreadsheet (BFW)...