Author Topic: Alexander V Persia first impressions  (Read 5239 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Alexander V Persia first impressions
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »
Joe and I played the new historical sets today and were really pleased with the final product. We just played the 1500 point pre-made armies with no terrain or scenario. It was a good opportunity to try a variety of units and it was just for fun. We were constantly backing up and redoing things we had done wrong and trying things that seemed silly, just to see how it worked.

For starters, the Persian 1500 point army gets 200 pts. of levies extra at the cost of a command action. You can also pick one unit per 1000 points as having the king's favor by sacrificing a CA, which I also did. This left me 1 CA per turn to run my army. In case you are wondering, this is not enough!  :P

The game was fun. The phalanxes are tough, especially when the Persian player doesn't notice that his Immortals have Javelins! It is also really cool if you scythed chariots are able to flank charge the companion cavalry.  8)

Can't wait to buy my own 2000 point army and play with some Phalanx confounding terrain!
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Alexander V Persia first impressions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 12:49:54 AM »
especially when the Persian player doesn't notice that his Immortals have Javelins!

I'm assuming you mean Persian Cavalry?  The Immortals have a ranged attack, like Crossbowmen.

Glad you enjoyed it!

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:59:57 AM »
No, I simply meant a ranged attack.

My cav had Javelins! Crap!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 07:57:58 AM by gull2112 »
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 08:40:01 AM »
Yup.  Persian Cavalry have a weak javelin attack (often making them better at attacking infantry than cavalry--which was about correct) and the Satrapal Cavalry have a 4 die javelin attack, making them a really good expenditure of 150pts.  They'll get 10 dice on the charge (melee dice+javelins+charge bonus) to go with a 7" threat zone.

Also remember the Persian Cavalry have 5 dice when engaged.