Author Topic: AvP card quality issues  (Read 5647 times)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
AvP card quality issues
« on: July 15, 2015, 08:12:48 PM »
I just played mt first game with the AvP cards and was dismayed to discover that on some of the cards it was difficult to erase the dry-erase ink. I have had this same problem before with the HE, but only a few. With this latest batch it was almost a third of the Persian cards. When I would go to erase the cards after the battle the ink would not erase. Usually, the way to fix this is to go over it with some freesh ink and let the solvent do its job. However, on a few of them even this barely worked and before I was able to get the ink off satisfactorily the card ink was coming off!

Maybe it is just me, is this happening to anyone else?
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: AvP card quality issues
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 11:06:12 AM »
It's not just you, I have the same issues.  I'd have to lick my finger and slightly moisten the area, then wipe it off.  Strangely, the Wuxing cards seem fine.  It's my hope that Chad doesn't use this printer again for various reasons. 
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
Huh.  As you may recall, the printer initially put Wuxing on wildly-inappropriate stock with a cross-hatch finish that made erasing impossible, at which point the cards were reprinted (and the old ones discarded).  Makes me suspect that A&P run (which wasn't reprinted) was put on some intermediate-quality card stock: better than the initial Wuxing run but worse than it was supposed to be.

Of course, those awesome card sleeves with felt-backs that Mike made, or even regular card sleeves, will make this a non-issue.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:53:20 AM »
I had a weird thing at Kublacon where the cards evaporated the dry erase.  You'd mark it and watch the Standing Order disappear.  I found that if I erased it and rewrote them it wasn't a problem, so maybe its something on them.

But its funny you mention that because I was taking picture of a game I played last night, using my Orcs and I had that exact problem.  I removed the sleeves because of the glare issue for the pictures and after the game the dry erase wouldn't come off.  When I wet my finger I started removing inc off the card.  And I bought the Orcs years ago.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 12:39:21 PM »
I have had the same problem with my orcs, but I think that was because I had left the game up over night (or longer). Usually, just scribbling over the area and wiping off immediately removes all the ink. A good argument for sleeving. Prior to this I haven't sleeved, but I may start. I always kind of figured that replacing worn out decks was a good way to keep YMG in business, whilst not incurring any major costs all at once. The only decks I've ever had to replace are my Orcs.

NegativeZer0

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 02:39:15 PM »
I always kind of figured that replacing worn out decks was a good way to keep YMG in business, whilst not incurring any major costs all at once. The only decks I've ever had to replace are my Orcs.

You could always take my approach:
http://ymgforum.com/index.php/topic,10073.msg44031.html#msg44031
and replace all the things

And to add to my awsome BG luck - The HD that had my WIP Egyptian Mythology army on it decided to commit Seppuku  :'(

In total I ran over 100 hours worth of scanning software to try and recover data off that HD.
One scan I ran took 36 hours all on it's own, it alone actually found the data files on the HD, recovered them, ALL of them were corrupted.

on a positive note:  I am fairly confident I can recreate the army, I do have an outdated version saved on a flash drive somewhere in my house.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 03:02:26 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Torrg

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:03 PM »
I always kind of figured that replacing worn out decks was a good way to keep YMG in business, whilst not incurring any major costs all at once. The only decks I've ever had to replace are my Orcs.

You could always take my approach:
http://ymgforum.com/index.php/topic,10073.msg44031.html#msg44031
and replace all the things

And to add to my awsome BG luck - The HD that had my WIP Egyptian Mythology army on it decided to commit Seppuku  :'(

In total I ran over 100 hours worth of scanning software to try and recover data off that HD.
One scan I ran took 36 hours all on it's own, it alone actually found the data files on the HD, recovered them, ALL of them were corrupted.

on a positive note:  I am fairly confident I can recreate the army, I do have an outdated version saved on a flash drive somewhere in my house.

There is software called Wondershare Data Recovery you can try. I was able to pull data from a Western Digital external hard drive that failed and that was encrypted.

Good Luck
An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.
Robert A. Heinlein

NegativeZer0

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 08:11:46 AM »
The scan that took 36 hours did find and recover my files.  They are all corrupted.

Thanks for trying to help but IT is what I do for a living.  Those files are gone.  Also I don;t want to derail the thread anymore than I already have.
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

gpman

• laying low in a blood filled trench
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »
I have place strips of glossy 3m clear tape over my stat bars to protect them - the ink always erases off the tape.  I just can't stand sleeves for some reason  ???

With all the new armies I received I have hours of work ahead of me if I'm going to tape all of them - probably why they're still just sitting on the game table unplayed  :'(
wack falol da rah!

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:37:15 AM »
I just can't stand sleeves for some reason  ???

Perhaps that explains why you have 27 kids...
-Rush, Dreamline

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2015, 08:41:31 AM »
I have place strips of glossy 3m clear tape over my stat bars to protect them - the ink always erases off the tape.  I just can't stand sleeves for some reason  ???

With all the new armies I received I have hours of work ahead of me if I'm going to tape all of them - probably why they're still just sitting on the game table unplayed  :'(

I'm with you on not liking sleeves, and I would jump on the 3M tape use (3M world hg is a mile from my house), except that it still doesn't help with the times you need to mark other areas of the card (like if your opponent uses a unit movement modifier).

However, as I have started sleeving my Alexander army with all the KS adds, I realize just how much bulk it adds to the deck, so maybe I will go with the tape option... I know folks can have an almost religious zeal for the sanctity of the cards and CCG folks are concerned with ruining the value of the cards they have invested in, but I don't view my cards as investments. One day I will no doubt tire of the game, perhaps when I am too old to read the cards, and then I'll haul my stuff to goodwill and pay it forward.

The more I think about it, the more I like the tape idea!

gatesphere

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2015, 08:48:34 AM »

Really wish you could 'thumbs up' a post on this site :p

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2015, 08:50:56 AM »

Really wish you could 'thumbs up' a post on this site :p
Cardoms? Ribbed for your gaming pleasure!

BTW - I wear them inside out for my own damn pleasure! ;)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 09:26:25 PM »

I've decided to go along with you. Tape it all. Actually, that will take way too long and is not necessary on most, so will tape on an 'as needed' basis.

Just to make double sure I made a few marks on some tape and let them sit for about a minute, an hour, a whole day, respectively. They all erased just fine, just like you said. also, I discovered while putting tape on a few cards that the clear tape sticks firmly, yet peels off smoothly, so the cards are not only protected, but ultimately undamaged.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2015, 10:41:57 PM »
I just played Wuxing again last night and what do you know?  I erased some of the coloring out of the boxes on most of the units I used for that game.  Dammit!
-Rush, Dreamline