Author Topic: Dexcon 18 (July 3-5) Saturday Photo Dump  (Read 2888 times)

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: Dexcon 18 (July 3-5) Saturday Photo Dump
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
I think taking support shooting[1] is just shy of okay.  Its a bit weak and that's something I'd like to see addressed if we ever took a good review of shooting. 

Not sure about the point-blank shot, mainly because I'm not sure it'd solve the issue.  I'd like to see them be able to contribute a little more to the fight when the enemy is engaged with your friendly unit.

[1]  I define support shooting as when you take 1-2 ranged units and have them compliment a line of melee troops, as opposed to hanging back.

When I say I take support ranged units.  I mean they sit back OR move forward slowly and shoot the enemy on the approach.  Then once the lines meet they pick a unit to concentrate on so it dies quicker.  I don't put them on my line, but they definitely move forward until they reach short range.  I have played stand and shoot also, but very rarely, like in the HE vs. Persia/Orcs game. 

I don't think ranged units are as weak as you think they are Corey, but I do feel making them a bit more effective might improve balance. 

Here are some ideas I have:

1. One extra shot before being engaged (you've heard that one already)
2. What about making ranged fire first in the order of precedence.  If you are sent into the yellow or red by ranged fire it affects you melee attack that turn.
3. Letting them shoot every turn.
4. Making there engaged attack only at a -1/-1.
5. Giving bonuses to attack if they are within 3.5"

Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
I don't think ranged units are as weak as you think they are Corey, but I do feel making them a bit more effective might improve balance. 

I have some numbers, but its too long for here.  At some point I'll post up my thoughts.  The short version is that if you have two (190pt) vanilla melee units with a (160 pt) vanilla archer behind them, you'd do more damage if you took the 160pts and spent it upgrading the two vanilla melee units.

2. What about making ranged fire first in the order of precedence.  If you are sent into the yellow or red by ranged fire it affects you melee attack that turn.

Opimius and I experimented with this one, but it breaks the flow of the game.  Too many mechanics are based on the assumption of a single combat phase.

3. Letting them shoot every turn.

This is another one I experimented with, but its an over-correction.  The shooting becomes way too good at that point.

5. Giving bonuses to attack if they are within 3.5"

The current idea percolating (and that I hope to check out) is something akin to this.  Giving them a bonus when they act as supporting fire.

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »
I think the biggest mistake with archery/ranged units was the design decision that they should have 1 less attack die on avg compared to line units.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 02:16:35 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Ostegun

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 10:15:10 AM »
I believe shooting doesn't need any fixing beyond adding attack dice to the unit in a manner similar to charge bonus but at range. My reasoning is that this would act as a watered down version of the going every turn and that it accounts for every person in the unit being able to fire.

Another addition could be to allow the unit to shoot once when charged but without the bonus attacks.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.