Author Topic: Wuxing FAQ  (Read 6843 times)

Kevin

Wuxing FAQ
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:53:36 AM »
Wuxing FAQ - by Kevin, co-lead-designer of Wuxing:

Wuxing FAQ - contents

Strategy:
- Help!  I am playing Wuxing and can’t seem to win.  What am I doing wrong?
- Help!  My opponent is taking Wuxing and keeps beating me!  What should I do differently?

Command Cards:
- I roll three hits and play Opportunities Multiply.  My opponent plays Fumble.  How many dice to I roll?
- Can we play command cards on the non-damage attack caused by Beyond Defeat?
- Suppose two of my units are engaged with one opponent.  I play Beyond Defeat on one of them.  Can the opponent attack the other unit?
- When is the best time to play Beyond Defeat?
- If I play Ensure Victory and then none of my unit’s attacks hit, what happens?
- I wanted to play “No Calamity Feared” (to prevent my unit from routing ) or “Beyond Defeat”, but the combat phase has started.

Units
- I really want to give my Shanzhi Monks one Fire Stance upgrade and one Water Stance upgrade.  Can I do this?
- How many turns do Shanzhi Monk upgrades last?
- Does the second "Water Stance" of the Shanzhi Monks negate the hit caused by High Elf Precision?
- The text says that the Dragon of the Spring and the Dragon of the Autumn fight together.  What happens if I put only one of those in my army?

Breakdown
- If a unit hits a condition which makes it break down (e.g. it takes damage while in the red), but it is already broken down, what happens?  
- Can I play command  cards on a unit which is broken down?
- What does breakdown actually represent?
Manipulate Qi
- My unit is broken down.  Can I both fix it and give it +1/+0 in the same turn?
- But I really want to give my broken down unit +1/+0!  Is there any way I can do that?
-  +1/+0 is worse than a command card.  Why is the bonus so weak?

General Design Questions
- Why can’t I play command cards on the Rocket Arrow Battery’s shot?
- Why is the Rocket Arrow Battery line-of-sight-only at short range?
- Why do I have to Manipulate Qi in order to give the Jade Dragon the Airborne Modifier?
- What reason was there to give the constructs “Reliable?”  rather than just power 6?
- Why are the large units only power 6?
- Why do Terracotta Crossbowmen have the same defensive skill while shooting their crossbows, while Dwarf Crossbowmen are worse?
- Help!  My opponent is playing a lot more command cards than I am!
- Why is there no human infantry, apart from the monks, in the faction?
- Why do Jun Horse Archer units go away once their allies are all destroyed?
- I have a Jade Dragon which is Airborne and a Jun Horse Archers.  Do the Jun Horse Archers stick around?
- The real Terracotta army has chariots.  Why are there no chariots?
- Were there any Jade units historically?

Strategy

- Help!  I am playing Wuxing and can’t seem to win.  What am I doing wrong?

Here are a few tips:
- To win with Wuxing, remember that your command actions are like gold.  Be very careful not to waste them!   That includes you not spending more command actions on order changes and direct controls than you absolutely must, as well as not pre-marking the Qi box too much.
- Remember that using Manipulate Qi for +1/+0 is generally less effective than playing a blue command card.  So if it’s one or the other, draw a card.
- It’s not always worth fixing the constructs, often a better use of your command action is to draw a command card to help a more important fight.  Our own experience is that it’s worth fixing a breakdown in the yellow about 2/3 of the time, and a breakdown in the red at most ¼ of the time.
- The Rocket Arrow Battery is a good unit if one side or the other is standing still, but, as with most ranged attack units, it is generally not the best use of points if both armies are charging forward.
- In general, construct units should be the backbone of your army.  Add human units only if you need them for a specific role that the constructs can't do.

- Help!  My opponent is taking Wuxing and keeps beating me!  What should I do differently?
There are a few strategies to defeating the Wuxing faction.
- Most of your opponent’s units are high toughness and low defense skill.  As such, try to have multiple high-power units in your army.  A (5) 5/6 unit is a much better bet than a (5) 6/5.
- If you can hold on for a few turns of combat, your opponent’s army will be breaking down, which will suck up most of his command actions while you are drawing command cards.  As such, it can help to try to break down as many Construct units as quickly as possible to overwhelm your opponent’s ability to conduct repairs.
- Along similar lines, any time you make your opponent spend a command action is a small victory for you.  If you can out-maneuver the Wuxing player and force him to spend 5 Command Actions on new orders and direct controls to your 2, you will probably win.

Command Cards

- I roll three hits and play Opportunities Multiply.  My opponent plays Fumble.  How many dice to I roll?
Command cards are fully resolved at the instant that they are played, so you roll 3 dice.

- Can we play command cards on the non-damage attack caused by Beyond Defeat?
Yes.  As with any other attack, you may play one offensive card, and your opponent may respond with one defensive card.  Ironically, your “offensive” card will help prevent damage from your opponent’s attack.

- Suppose two of my units are engaged with one opponent.  I play Beyond Defeat on one of them.  Can the opponent attack the other unit?
Yes.  In this case, the damage prevention from Beyond Defeat was wasted, except insofar as it encouraged your opponent to attack a different unit.

- When is the best time to play Beyond Defeat?
The best time is the charge turn of a fight that you expect to lose, but it'll be reasonably close.  (Typically the enemy unit costs between 30% and 50% more than yours.)  For example your Terracotta Swordsmen vs. a Ravenwood Bear Pack.  Under these circumstances it can save you multiple points of damage.

The second best situation is when your unit is broken down and almost dead, so its attack wouldn't do much anyway.

- If I play Ensure Victory and then none of my unit’s attacks hit, what happens?
You do zero damage.  The card is best used when you think you will get multiple hits.

- I wanted to play “No Calamity Feared” (to prevent my unit from routing ) or “Beyond Defeat”, but the combat phase has started.
It’s good form for the opponent to let you play these if your opponent has rolled attacks on other units and you clearly forgot.  But if the attack on the unit you want to play it on has already started, then it is too late.  Being forced to risk “wasting” these card by playing them before combat is what keeps them balanced.

Units

- I really want to give my Shanzhi Monks one Fire Stance upgrade and one Water Stance upgrade.  Can I do this?

No.

- How many turns do Shanzhi Monk upgrades last?

They last two turns.  The turn that you mark them, and then the opponent’s turn immediately after that.  Of course, a given upgrade may be irrelevant on one of the turns, but technically it’s still there.  (For example, your units only move on your turn, so having a higher MC on the opponent turn will virtually never matter.)

- Does the second "Water Stance" of the Shanzhi Monks negate the hit caused by High Elf Precision?

Assuming it is not a ranged attack, then no.  The hit from "Precision" technically is not an Impact Hit.  If it is from a ranged attack, then the hit is negated as is any other ranged attack hit.

- The text says that the Dragon of the Spring and the Dragon of the Autumn fight together.  What happens if I put only one of those in my army?

There is no game penalty, but don’t blame us if the dice go haywire!  ;)

Breakdown:

- If a unit hits a condition which makes it break down (e.g. it takes damage while in the red), but it is already broken down, what happens?

There is no additional penalty; it remains broken down.

- Can I play command  cards on a unit which is broken down?

Yes.

- What does breakdown actually represent?

Constructs are infused with Qi, which allows them to move and fight.  When manipulated, they can move with even greater agility.  However, under conditions of stress, their Qi starts to fray.  Many constructs lose their more detailed “programming,” and instead just follow the herd and mill around with little purpose, swinging their weapons wildly.   Their commander can manipulate their Qi to get them working normally again, but this takes effort.

Manipulate Qi

- My unit is broken down.  Can I both fix it and give it +1/+0 in the same turn?

No.  You can only do so much with a construct in limited time.

- But I really want to give my broken down unit +1/+0!  Is there any way I can do that?

No.  This weakness is accounted for in unit costs.

-  +1/+0 is worse than a command card.  Why is the bonus so weak?

While the bonus appears weak, it has two advantages.  One is that it “stacks” with any bonus given by a command card.  The other is that it applies to all attacks which happen that turn.  So, for example, if one of your units is being targeted by 4 opponent archer units, it’s a no-brainer to Manipulate Qi.

Design Questions

- Why can’t I play Command cards on the Rocket Arrow Battery’s shot?

Each individual rocket-propelled arrow is extremely inaccurate.  It would be equivalent to putting a laser sight on a rusty antique smoothbore pistol.  The Rocket Arrow Battery is an effective weapon only because it saturates an area with arrows, firing far more arrows than a comparable unit of archers.

- Why is the Rocket Arrow Battery line-of-sight-only at short range?

At short range the trajectories don't arc enough to go over friendly units without precision aiming, which the Rocket Arrow Battery is incapable of.

- Why do I have to erase a Manipulate Qi mark in order to give the Jade Dragon the Airborne Modifier?

Our experience is that more often than not the Jade Dragon never takes flight.  By making flying cost a command action, we were able to give it a lower price and make it fight more-or-less at its weight if it stays on the ground.

- What reason was there to give the constructs “Reliable?”  rather than just power 6?

Mathematically, 'Reliable" is equivalent to 16.7% more dice  (unless your to-damage number is above 5.)  Making them Power 6 would have made them better vs. high-toughness factions and worse vs. high-skill factions.  The sense at the time they were being designed was that we needed a faction that would be at least as good vs. high-skill factions.

- Why are the large units only power 6?

The Wuxing Empire normally fought barbarians and soldiers of smaller neighboring states, neither of whom were heavily armored.

- Why do Terracotta Crossbowmen have the same defensive skill while shooting their crossbows, while Dwarf Crossbowmen are worse?

There is a line of shield-bearing Terracotta Swordsmen in the front line who protect the others.  An individual Terracotta Crossbowman loads and fires a crossbow at a slightly faster rate than its Dwarven (or Orc) counterpart, hence they the unit gets the same number of attack dice despite fewer of them shooting.

- Help!  My opponent is playing a lot more command cards than I am!

1)  Maneuver carefully.  Your Command Actions are extremely precious and not to be wasted!
2)  Don't check off too many Manipulate Qi boxes.
3)  A big part of the skill of the faction is deciding when to fix a breakdown and when to just let the unit go.  Our experience is that it's better to let a unit go at least 1/4 of the time that it is in the yellow, and close to 3/4 of the time that it is in the red.

That said, it is normal for the Wuxing player to have fewer cards to play once the lines start grinding away.  That's the price you pay for units never routing.

- Why is there no human infantry, apart from the monks, in the faction?

This army is conceived of as an expeditionary / long range strike force.  Human soldiers require large amounts of challenging-to-supply food; terracotta soldiers do not.

That said, if you imagine the Wuxing Empire fighting closer to home (Perhaps it is being attacked?), check out the Wuxing Home Army Variant.

- Why do Jun Horse Archer units go away once their allies are all destroyed?

As barbarians, they feel no particular loyalty, and figure with no other survivors they won't get paid.

- I have a Jade Dragon which is Airborne and a Jun Horse Archers.  Do the Jun Horse Archers stick around?

No, they are removed from play.  In this case, "in play" means "on the ground and therefore reachable by the enemy."

- The real Terracotta Army has chariots.  Why are there no chariots in the Wuxing faction?

We considered putting them in, but decided that part of the flavor and balance of the Wuxing faction would be that no units could break through too quickly (given their point cost).  Chariots simply hit too hard.  We also decided that all cavalry would shoot, requiring them to be used with a bit more finesse to get their full value.

- Were there any Jade units in the real Terracotta Army?

No, but we wanted Wuxing to have some superior units, and jade seemed a good choice.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:05:01 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: Wuxing FAQ
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »
Thanks Kevin! This is great for those of us who want to play Wuxing, but don't have the opportunity to play often enough to master these basics. I applaud the inclusion of Jade units for the reasons you have given. I think it definitely gives the right flavor. I am so glad I was able to participate in the KS and get the bonus units, while not necessary, they are cool to have, because who doesn't want more units to pick from in their faction?
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »
Thanks!  To give credit where credit is due, Jaime and I were third to get my hands on Wuxing, and jade units already existed when we got them, so the credit for that goes either to Corey or "Karasu."
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 11:27:59 AM »
Nice guide!  I'd add "When playing against Elves, Jade Nobles are REALLY nice"
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
As far as I can tell, there is no functional difference between the three seasons (colors) of dragons, am I missing something?

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:39:27 AM »
Nope, the dragons are all the same unit.  The artwork is just different for each one for the sake of flavor.  The same way that the Red Dragon, Ancient Red Dragon, and Hydra units have different artwork. 
-Rush, Dreamline

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 11:49:53 AM »
Cool.  :)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:44:46 PM »
Why do the Fu Dogs have an asterisk after their power stat?

BubblePig

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 07:42:29 PM »
As far as I know, Reliable (to damage 6's rerolled.) IIRC this is not consistent with Ravenwood nets, but it is a good reminder IMO and worth having. If Ravenwood were reprinted I would advocate that be considered, since knuckleheads like me forget stuff like that sometimes if there is nothing on the top of the card to remind about spears, nets. reliable, etc.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:51:26 PM by BubblePig »

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »
In terms of average increase in damage, Reliable = Nets.  Though there are two notable differences:

1)  Reliable makes crappy rolls better; Nets makes good rolls better.  So Nets makes unit damage "swingier" while Reliable makes it more consistent.

2) Reliable becomes all-but-worthless if you ever need 6s or higher to wound.  (Since Wuxing units are all power 6 or less, this isn't normally an issue unless you play Force at the wrong time.)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
In terms of average increase in damage, Reliable = Nets.  Though there are two notable differences:

1)  Reliable makes crappy rolls better; Nets makes good rolls better.  So Nets makes unit damage "swingier" while Reliable makes it more consistent.

2) Reliable becomes all-but-worthless if you ever need 6s or higher to wound.  (Since Wuxing units are all power 6 or less, this isn't normally an issue unless you play Force at the wrong time.)
Reliable does just what its name implies, it smooths out the utter failures. This makes sense. I only questioned the asterisk because I was looking everywhere for a Power modifier (I was assuming a +1 charge) and couldn't find it anywhere.

I also like nets because they are rather exotic for a melee unit and they can theoretically be very good, but as a practicality they are nothing to count on. "The good get gooder."

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 10:15:34 AM »
In terms of average increase in damage, Reliable = Nets.  Though there are two notable differences...

Another way you could look at it is the per die rolled, Reliable is much better than Nets because that re-roll can very well contribute to a point of damage where as any extra dice added by Nets gives you an opportunity to make 2 rolls for that point of damage (1 to hit, 1 to wound).  However, you will always get more extra rolls with Nets because you will always be rolling more to-hit dice than to-wound dice so it evens out in the end.  Unless you just roll crazy good on your to-hit rolls.
-Rush, Dreamline

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »
Yeah on rare occasion Nets will let you do more wounds than you get dice.  (I remember one game a few years ago where my Ravenwood Swordsmen pinched someone and did 10 damage!)  Never happens with Reliable.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »
Here's an interesting one for you.  One of the Shanzhi Monk's Water Stances says that you can negate the first hit from a ranged attack, or impact hit, each turn.  Does that include High Elven Precision, or does Precision not count as an impact hit in that regard?
-Rush, Dreamline

Kevin

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 06:00:52 PM »
Good question!

While Precision functions like an Impact Hit, the words 'Impact Hit" are not used in the description.  Thus, "the second" Water Stance would not void it--assuming it's an engaged attack.

If it's a ranged attack (e.g. You marked Precision on Archers who fired from farther away.) then the hit would be negated as would any other ranged attack hit.

I added your question to the FAQ up above.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:06:17 PM by Kevin »