Author Topic: Amazons - Reborn!  (Read 9778 times)

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
Re: Amazons - Reborn!
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 08:03:21 PM »
Marcus on the new Nimble of Hoof card:

Much better.  In fact, I'd say you could give the unit +1 MC in addition to the Maneuver Mastery.  I'd just say that the unit can't final rush on that turn if BOTH of those abilities are used.

I thought of something.  This card also needs to say "You may also take Direct Control of this unit, if you wish".  So that is two small benefits on the card.  Adding +1 MC would be 3 small benefits.  I'll pass that here and keep the +2 MC on the Horse Whisperer card.

Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

Dave-SWA

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:07 PM »
Kevin on the Cattle Stampede unit...

Stampede:  (4) 4/6  1/3 c11 m6"
5g3y3r

2 impact hits.  Orders can be modified, but speed may not be capped.

Pitch a card to play a card.

Large but not fearsome.  (Animals just aren't as scary as magical Dark Elves or rampaging Ogres.  Plus IMHO a herd would be quite likely to get spooked and be less effective if it hits something genuinely scary.)

I'll half-ass their price at 200 even.

Hmmmm, this makes it a much more 'normal' unit.  It looks very much like a normal cavalry unit except with a few limitations.  It gets farther away from the concept of "one-shot rocket, except if the first unit it hits is so brittle it might get a second shot."

Concept:
The first hit is really hard.  Literally a big, unavoidable wall of beef coming towards you at high speed.  There are so many of them, so packed together, that you can't avoid getting hit (skill 6 attack).  And they are cattle-size creatures, so they hit hard on that initial impact (power 6).  But once the momentum of that first charge is broken, their combat potential goes way down.  It is not a big irresistible wall of beef moving at high speed any more.  Only if the cowgirls can get the herd moving again will it regain any momentum for a new charge.

I have a new take.  No yellow boxes.  This makes it more of a one-hit wonder.  But, give it even more punch up front.

Also, Kevin talked me out of both Large & Fearsome at Dexcon last year.  It was a mistake to keep those keywords listed in the database.  Those are now gone.

Keep the (4)/6/6, 2/2
Drop courage to 11
Drop move to 5"  (cattle should not be as fast as a charging horse)
Increase impact hits to 4
Adjust: (-2)/-2/-2 if not charging
Adjust:  Immediately remove unit if it routs or disrupts
Keep: Damage friendly if impacts (like Colossal units)
Keep: Mandatory Close, but can modify
Keep: No faction ability  (there is a weak argument that this unit could get this, but I think leave it off)
Adjust:  Pitch a card to play a Red card.  Cannot play blue cards.
Hits:
5 Green, 2 Red = 7 Boxes total

Does not currently have the Cavalry keyword.  With Cav, it gets another Impact hit, and gains +1 def vs ranged, but also is vulnerable to spears.  It seems like it should not get those bonuses, but should get the Spear penalty.  Perhaps word this as "suffers Spear/Pike penalties as if Cavalry"?
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
www.swa-gaming.org

Dave-SWA

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
Does anyone have a good idea for a better name than "Rowdy Gang" for the scrub unit?  I've never loved this name...

I thought of "Hooligans", but I don't like that one too much either.

"P#*$$^-Whipped Losers" seems a bit harsh.

Other good ideas warmly welcomed.
www.swa-gaming.org

BubblePig

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2015, 05:21:01 PM »
Factotums
Unwedded
Mongrels
Jiltrati
Riffraff
Alluvia

Dave-SWA

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 01:10:27 AM »
It is 2am, the night before the action starts at DexCon in New Jersey.

I am packing up all the Amazon stuff.  I am going through the folder with my old notes, clearing out the old stuff to make way for the new, updated stuff.

There is a page with the notes that came out of the discussion with Kevin that helped refine several of the ideas.

#3 on this list...

"Card to negate Spear bonus".

A-ha!

Blame Kevin!!!

;D
www.swa-gaming.org

BubblePig

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2015, 01:37:58 PM »
Does anyone have a good idea for a better name than "Rowdy Gang" for the scrub unit?  I've never loved this name...

I thought of "Hooligans", but I don't like that one too much either.

"P#*$$^-Whipped Losers" seems a bit harsh.

Other good ideas warmly welcomed.

Factotums
Unwedded
Mongrels
Jiltrati
Riffraff
Alluvia
Some more info as to what connotation you are trying to convey would be helpful, but anyway another stab at it:

Stooges
Lackeys
Chumps
Pawns
Fawners (a good counterpoint to suitors IMO)
Hounds
Yahoos (a reference to Gulliver's Travels which is sort of horse-related as well)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 01:41:54 PM by BubblePig »

NegativeZer0

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 02:00:30 PM »
Have you had time to do any more with this faction since dexcon.  I know your busy with 5 nations planning but was also hoping you might give them another shot in-between running around making sure everything runs smoothly.
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Dave-SWA

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2015, 06:58:49 PM »
I have done nothing really except to percolate on the proposed new faction ability:
"Amazon War Cry - Mark the box.  On an engaged attack, if the enemy ends the attack one box short of a rout check, erase the box and deliver one more point of damage."

I have my notes from Dexcon on the table next to my desk - right within sight.  I will find time to write them up one of these days.  Too many Council things to do, as always happens this time of year.

If the powers that be will allow it, I'd be happy to play a game or two with the Amazons at Council.

More soon.
-DC
www.swa-gaming.org

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 11:38:08 AM »
That means the faction ability won't do anything against most Wuxing or Undead units.

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »
Without making a value judgement on the faction ability the issue you highlight with Wuxing and Undead is overcome by rewording it so that it activates when one away from entering a new colour and/or whilst in the red.
toodle pip

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Sounds like a conditional Pain Touch.  Does erasing the box count as playing a command card?
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2015, 04:12:33 PM »
How about this?

"Amazon War Cry - Spend one command action to check the Amazon War Cry" box.  If your unit is charging you may erase the box to give this unit (+1) +0/+0 and one additional impact hit.  If this unit is forced to take a rout check this turn, it does so at a -1 courage.

So what this does is make your charge turn have quite a bit more bite.  However, there is a down side.  If the opposing unit forces a rout check on your unit, your courage falters a bit. 

Basically you screamed in there thinking you were all that, got hosed, and now your scared because the opponent had the audacity to fight back well.

I think this gives your faction power where it's already pretty strong, but as you said all weekend long at Dexcon, your survival is based on how well you get breakthroughs....+1 dice on the charge, and impact hit and the normal charge bonus might help you do that.  Plus, the ability does not count as a command card.  Perhaps that could change though...

Anyways, perhaps you might like the idea....and there you have it.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Dave-SWA

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2015, 10:53:46 PM »
Modest Dexcon battle reports are in the Session Reports section:
http://ymgforum.com/index.php/topic,10287.msg46237

Brook - I think Eric's idea is worth a try.

Marcus - The plan at this point is that it does not count as playing a card.

Eric - wording massaged.  Thank you.

www.swa-gaming.org

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2015, 10:03:37 AM »
I have done nothing really except to percolate on the proposed new faction ability:
"Amazon War Cry - Mark the box.  On an engaged attack, if the enemy ends the attack one box short of a rout check, erase the box and deliver one more point of damage."

Marcus - The plan at this point is that it does not count as playing a card.

OK, I've thought about this.  It's an interesting and creative ability for sure.  Across the board it doesn't strike me as too strong even if it doesn't count as a command card, but there are a couple of instances where it can be devastating.  Basically, any unit with a really good defensive stat and few green hit boxes can get mauled by this.  These still tend to be expensive units and they have a lot of points rolled up into each green hit box.  A perfect example is High Elven Knights.  Or any Knight unit, for that matter.  Let's say you just have a normal line unit with the ability box marked and you have either a good red command card or a good attack roll and you manage to inflict 2 damage on the unit of Knights on the charge turn.  The Amazon War Cry gets you that 3rd point of damage that immediately forces a route check right there on that first turn.  Now it's possible that any normal line unit like Swordsmen can put a unit of Knights into the yellow on the charge, but that usually required freakish luck.  In this case you only need moderately good luck and whamo!  A route check!  That could be a problem. 

A solution to this can be that erasing the box on the charge turn counts as playing a command card.  Otherwise you can play command cards freely.  Does that sound reasonable?
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »
Sounds like a lame Fury to me.  Doesn't seem crazy.

I mean, I get it what you are saying Marcus, that doing an extra damage to a Knight is bad, except it's the same thing that happen when Fury is done, or when a Collosal does auto one to them, or when a lame ass Umenzi death curses them.  That kind of crap happens all the time.