Author Topic: Council of Five Nations XXXVIII (Oct 2-4, 2015), Schenectady, NY  (Read 12524 times)

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
Re: Council of Five Nations XXXVIII (Oct 2-4, 2015), Schenectady, NY
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2015, 09:46:01 PM »
Maybe try one of those travel booking sites where you bid low on the unfilled rooms, and target the Hampton Inn?

That's the best suggestion I've got...

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

BubblePig

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2015, 12:13:45 AM »
I have been checking that Hampton Inn daily since Marcus posted. It was unavailable on the 28th, then available yesterday, then unavailable earlier today but it is available now. So whatever method you use, I would book the room now.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2015, 07:27:29 AM »
Getting my sh#t together and waiting for Brook.  See you guys soon!
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
Well we had another great weekend at Council of 5 Nations.  Our attendance for the BG events was on the low side because we lost some potential players a couple of weeks before the convention, but we where not deterred from having a great time.  Some notes:

I had just finished moving our family this past week so I was pretty exhausted both physically and mentally this weekend.  So much so that I totally forgot to bring any product to sell and I wound up running 3 demos this weekend.  And all 3 players where asking me where they could purchase BG factions.  I had also promised Eric that I'd bring the starter and reinforcement decks for Dwarves.  Ugh!

We had a big game Saturday night with Steve teaming up with me vs. Brook and Eric.  I was playing Wuxing, Steve was playing MOnsters + Mercs, Brook was playing Ravenwood, and I can't remember what Eric played.  Perhaps Umenzi or Dark Elves?  Anyways, we lost. 

Saturday was fun with a few more big games.  Hopefully I'll have time to get a report or two up later this week.  The last game of the day was just nuts.  Kevin (Wuxing) and I (Persia) took on Brook (Hawks) and Steve (Undead).  Wuxing crumbled.  Actually, Kevin's dice crumbled, leaving Persia to face both opponents armies in what almost amounted to an outlandish comeback.  Alas, if only for that last unit of Long Bowmen....

I used Royal Guard to pretty good effect in the games I played as Persia and many folks believe they are broken.  I'll start a thread about that so please contain your comments until that materializes.

I think it was funny that my alignment for the campaign was Chaotic Good while I was playing Persia.  Which should totally have been Lawful Evil ;)

I am staying away from Eric's moonshine from now on.  I switched over to that stuff late Saturday night after a few beers (meaning my inhibitions where lowered) and I woke up in a world of regret.  And I even had almost 6 hours sleep Saturday night.  That NEVER happens on conventions for me!  Must... stick.. to... beer...

Speaking of beer, Tos' mini-brewery never get's old.

Brook, Eric, and I played a 3 player game on Sunday with Eric using hsi Egyptian themed army.  He's got some pretty cool stuff going on there.  A few things seemed unbalanced but to be honest, a lot of that may have been sticker shock on my part.

Brook and I looked high and low for Ron before going out to lunch Sunday and then again when leaving the Con.  I even tried calling him.  Sorry we missed you man, but we tried!

For those who attended, thanks for coming!  We had a great time playing and hanging out with you all!
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2015, 05:09:23 PM »
The last game of the day was just nuts.  Kevin (Wuxing) and I (Persia) took on Brook (Hawks) and Steve (Undead).  Wuxing crumbled.  Actually, Kevin's dice crumbled, leaving Persia to face both opponents armies in what almost amounted to an outlandish comeback.  Alas, if only for that last unit of Long Bowmen....

Dice hurt a bit, but fundamentally we were outplayed/outguessed early on, as the way we deployed my army was facing an equal size close-and-hose army plus a pair of Longbowmen--ouch!  Meanwhile, your units had trouble getting into the fight and sweeping through their line fast enough. 

Brook and Moose really demonstrated the advantage of integrated team armies over "one on the left, one on the right" ones:  you'd won the other side, but since I was annihilated you were getting 4 Command Actions to their 8.  Still  you almost pulled it off!  One different attack result or better Command Card draws and you probably win the nail-biter. 
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »
Brook and I looked high and low for Ron before going out to lunch Sunday and then again when leaving the Con.  I even tried calling him.  Sorry we missed you man, but we tried!
I feel like a bit of a jerk for ditching people several times this weekend but it was not intentional. My phone seems to be hit or miss on receiving calls and I am wondering if my software is out of date or something. If I still have the same smartphone next con, texts seem to make it through a lot better FWIW.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:29:14 PM by BubblePig »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2015, 09:35:20 PM »
No problem Ron!
-Rush, Secret Touch

Dave-SWA

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2015, 11:37:59 PM »
My mobile phone has generally poor reception at Proctors.
Now, some of the time I'm in the basement; we probably shouldn't expect good reception when underground and surrounded by big steel girders. 
And, I've got T-Mobile, which is not famed for good reception.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

BubblePig

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2015, 11:56:20 AM »
One reason people kept losing track of me is because I dabbled in a bit of everything to an extent I have not done in decades: BG, SFB, Quartermaster General, Pathfinder. I didn't manage to get into a game where we pushed lead minis around, so I guess I have something to shoot for next time. I ended up staying til the very end of the con. Tos invited me to join him in a game of Pathfinder and it was a great way to end a great weekend.

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
Wish I had known you guys were doing that last PFS session.  I was at a different table.
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!