Author Topic: Council of Five Nations XXXVIII (Oct 2-4, 2015), Schenectady, NY  (Read 13910 times)

Lance OCasey

Re: Council of Five Nations XXXVIII (Oct 2-4, 2015), Schenectady, NY
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 07:34:35 AM »
I'll be there Friday, but I've submitted two other games to run, which I expect may get scheduled for Friday.

For any interested, I'll be running a Star Fleet Battles scenario involving a Romulan raid on Federation dilithium mines, and a demo of Reaper's new mechs game, C.A.V.:Strike Operations.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2015, 08:05:47 AM »
What are the specific faction rules....changes, etc for this tournament?  Are certain factions having their costs modified?  (I.E.  orc trolls and High Elf costs for example?)
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »
Bueller?  anyone?  What up with the rules for this Battleground event?  See above post.....

BubblePig

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2015, 09:54:39 PM »
I don't care that much but I am wondering if everyone else is going to want to play one of the new factions like I do.

BubblePig

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »
I will probably try to get in a game or two with chaos lords as well

Kevin

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 11:09:05 PM »
Bueller?  anyone?  What up with the rules for this Battleground event? 

I need to discuss it with Marcus.  Once upon a time I had a fantasy that the Championship Tounament rules (on top of 3.1) would be considered balanced for competitive play among players who had played with them, but clearly that hasn't happened.  So the question is whether to use them anyway, go pure 3.1, or do some subset of those rules (such as maybe the prices but not the rules, or maybe add one or two of the rules I feel most strongly about).  Stay tuned, and feel free to post your preference below.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Moose

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2015, 03:47:00 PM »
Wasn't sure I was going to make it this year, but as of last night I am all set. I will be there, albeit running the SFB tournament, but that should allow me plenty of time to play Battleground. Looking forward to it.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2015, 09:56:16 PM »
Yay, a Moose sighting!!!!!!!!

Good to hear you are coming. 

See you then.  God willing.

I might even play a SFB game or two......

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2015, 11:21:00 PM »
Roll Call

Please post your attendance status.

Committed
Marcus G.
Kevin B-S.
Brook V.
Steve McC.
Ron P.
Eric S.
Carl H.
Dave C.

Probable
Tim S.
Laurie S. ?

Maybe
Rob F.
Bohan L.  (Sounds like you want to taste the action again...  ;))
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
I don't want to speak for him, but Jaime was there for part of it last year and all of it the year before and should rate a "maybe" at least.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Dave-SWA

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2015, 04:37:30 PM »
Doh!  Yes.  I compiled this list just from skimming this thread top-to-bottom, relatively late last night.  Since he hasn't posted here, he slipped from my memory.  He told me he was planning on coming, so let's list Jaime as a 'Probable' for now.

-DC
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:48 PM »
What are the specific faction rules....changes, etc for this tournament?  Are certain factions having their costs modified?  (I.E.  orc trolls and High Elf costs for example?)

OK Marcus and I discussed it.  

We'll be doing printed-on-the-cards costs and standard 3.1 rules except for the three rules below.  #II and III were used at the Championship Tournament earlier this year.

I)  High Elves get two tweaks:
One is that Precision won't count as playing a card on engaged attacks.  (It still counts as a card when making ranged attacks.)  The other is that Oathbound is changed to, "Play after a unit fails a courage check.  Reroll the check at +2 and mark a red box on the damage track.  Marking that box does not cause a rout check."

II) Shooting at Big Guys Rule:  
Choose one each time your unit makes an attack:  

- You get the bonus to hit a Large/Colossal target and forfeit the right to play Command Cards on this attack.

- You don’t get the bonus to hit Large/Colossal and may play Command Cards normally.  “May play cards normally” means as per normal game rules for that unit.  This includes using faction abilities that count as playing Command Cards.

Units which may not play cards while attacking (e.g. Goblin Bomb Chucker) get the Large/Colossal target bonuses.  (In essence, they must choose the first option).  Dark Elves shooting at a Witching Hour'd unit are treated as having played a card so do not get the Large/Colossal target bonuses.

III)  Mercenary Rules
Mercenaries may be taken under the following rules:

1a)  Fantasy factions other than M&M may take the following units (only) as mercenaries:  All units with at least one Spoils box, and Stone Monkeys.
1b)  Anyone playing the Monsters & Mercenaries faction designates one printed fantasy faction as his/her “mercenary” faction for the event.  This faction choice may not be changed.  Within that faction, all Core units costing between 100 and 300 points may be taken as Mercenaries, as well as the Stone Monkeys.   Also, taking mercenary units does not void the 2 free Command Cards per “monster,” nor do mercenary units give free Command Cards.
1c)  Anyone player a Historical Faction may take the following units (only) as mercenaries:  Wildman Swords, Wildman Archers, Wildman Horse Archers, Spartan Hoplites.

2)  You may spend no more than 25% of your army build points on Mercenaries.
3)  All mercenary units count as Elite, regardless of what is printed on the cards.
4)  Mercenary units may use their faction abilities for the standard non-mercenary cost (typically this means spending 1 Command action rather than 2.)  However, these abilities may not be pre-bought.  (e.g. Only the M&M player may pre-buy Spoils marks for 15 each.)
5)  The standard mercenary command-card and other rules apply:  Mercenaries only may be affected by the 20 “generic” cards and are not affected by faction-specific abilities.  (e.g. They may not be healed by Umenzi Shamans or receive extra dice from Roman Triarii.)  
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 10:50:41 PM by Kevin »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 04:42:54 PM »
Alrighty, fun Friday afternoon/evening event posted here!

http://ymgforum.com/index.php/topic,10296.0.html
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Dave-SWA

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »
Folks,

We are feverishly working to get pre-registration material ready for distribution.
Look for it this coming Labor Day holiday weekend.

Maybe Sunday night, maybe Monday.

I will post here when it's available.

More soon!
www.swa-gaming.org

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
I just want to put this out there.  Chris Dixon is getting married a month from now and he's at best 50/50 for making it to Council this year due to all the pre-wedding activities and such.  Hopefully we'll know his status for sure within the next week.  If he backs out (and we can't blame him) we will have a spot in our room at the Days Inn if anybody still needs to find lodging.  It's cheap and a few blocks away from Proctors.  The only drawback is that you'd have to share the room with 2 guys in their 40's that like to fart and belch from time to time.  That would be Brook and I.  If you can handle that, this offer may be ideal. 

Any interest? 
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light