Author Topic: Council of Five Nations XXXVIII (Oct 2-4, 2015), Schenectady, NY  (Read 13311 times)

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
Council is coming up on us soon, so I want to get this topic started.  We look forward to hosting the Battleground crowd to continue several years of great tradition.

Please note we are not on Columbus Day Weekend this year.  We risked conflicting once again with Union College Homecoming, and hotel availability was horrible. 

Instead, we are one weekend earlier, October 2-4
This weekend will make availability and rates much more agreeable for all our attendees.

More news here real soon.  Just want to make sure all you folks know the date so you can start planning.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: Council of Five Nations XXXVIII (Oct 2-4, 2015), Schenectady, NY
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 08:59:20 PM »
After chatting with you yesterday, Dave, I'm really excited about going. Still not sure about my finances, but I'm working on a savings plan. Your copy of the rules should be in the mail tomorrow.  8)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Lance OCasey

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
I'll be there, but likely splitting time between Battleground, SFB, and hopefully a Close Action session.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:23:09 AM »
I'll also plan to attend and while I not longer do the SFB thing, I'd be happy to play the obligatory Friday afternoon game to take one for the team.  The rest of my time will be spent playing Battleground, drinking beer, and telling incredibly bad jokes.  Of course you all know that...
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 12:09:28 PM »
I'll also plan to attend and while I not longer do the SFB thing, I'd be happy to play the obligatory Friday afternoon game to take one for the team.  The rest of my time will be spent playing Battleground, drinking beer, and telling incredibly bad jokes.  Of course you all know that...

.....and goosing Dave's crotch......:)
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 12:27:17 PM »
Shush!
-Rush, Dreamline

Kevin

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 04:12:19 PM »
Just booked my room at the Days Inn!  No I won't share my room, but yes I can give people a ride to/from Boston.

Marcus and I are planning on another weekend of team games, where 4 teams, (Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, and Chaotic Evil) battle for cosmic supremacy.  Each battle will be either Good-vs-Evil or Law-vs-Chaos, meaning that many players can be your ally in one game and your opponent in another.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 08:53:07 PM »
Drat, that weekend has just become impossible for me!  :P >:(

gpman

• laying low in a blood filled trench
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2015, 08:07:26 AM »
Marcus and I are planning on another weekend of team games, where 4 teams, (Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, and Chaotic Evil) battle for cosmic supremacy.  Each battle will be either Good-vs-Evil or Law-vs-Chaos, meaning that many players can be your ally in one game and your opponent in another.

I was doubtful we'd attend this year, haven't played since last fall, and just not interested in all the special rules and unit changes that usually go along with these get togethers (not a complaint, I understand your reasons, just not for me  ;)).  I knew I would miss the people though  :-[

But I like the sound of this years format, getting to play along side and against the same people sounds awesome.  So now Laurie and I have to do some soul searching  ::).  Well mostly me, she was surprised to hear I didn't plan on going until I mentioned your post this morning.

So now we have to figure out how we're going to get some games in to relearn the rules (I just received another KS game (Great War) that we are playing a ton of, and I haven't won yet lol)
wack falol da rah!

Kevin

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 04:11:23 PM »
For what it's worth, almost all of the "special rules" last year reflected that we were using the 3.1 rules.  If you're using the latest 3.1 rulebook (which came out with Wuxing / Alexander & Persia earlier this year) then the number of special rules becomes few-to-none.

Hope to see you both!

Drat, that weekend has just become impossible for me!

:-\

Since you're coming East zero times in 2015, that means twice in 2016, right?  ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 05:47:03 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Kevin

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2015, 07:55:14 PM »
A few more details on how the campaign will work this year:

Players will be assigned a team:  Lawful Good, Lawful Evil, Chaotic Good, or Chaotic Evil.  Based on historic attendance, we expect that teams will have 2 or 3 players.

People on your team are always allies.  People on the "opposite" team are always opponents.  People on the other two teams can vary.

Let's say you're in team Lawful Evil.  Your fellow Lawful Evil players are always allies.  The Chaotic Good players are always opponents.  Lawful Good and Chaotic Evil players may be allies or opponents.

Let's say a given game has you, a Lawful Good player, and a Chaotic Evil player.  The game will either be Good vs. Evil, or Law vs. Chaos, which would determine which player was your ally and which was your opponent.  Which match it would be will be determined by what if any already have been played.  In other words, if you already played with the Chaotic Evil player as your opponent, the game will be Good vs. Evil so that they can be your ally.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2015, 08:22:54 AM »
Is there moral fluidity? Could there be Lawful Good Orcs? Can alliances be made and broken?

Kevin

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
Is there moral fluidity? Could there be Lawful Good Orcs?

Any player can play any faction.  The orcs, fighting to destroy the Darkness and bring political rights and democratic government to all, were lied to by their commander and told that they were be lots of rape & plunder for the victors.  :)

Can alliances be made and broken?

They are by definition, yes?  Per the above example, in one game the Chaotic Evil player is the Lawful Evil player's teammate, but next game they may be opponents.

If you're asking whether there will be a "diplomacy" part of the campaign, with players choosing whom to ally with, the answer is no.  This is about Battleground, not wheeling and dealing.  Plus I find that diplomacy-type games often lead to bad feelings.  (In 2-sided games, we all know the opponent is out to spank us, so hey no hard feelings.)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:40:06 AM by Kevin »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2015, 09:29:01 AM »
I think it's worth pointing out that Kevin's idea partially sprang from our desire to have more opponents for each player available.  Last year there where 2 sides with approximately 10 players, so each player had 5 potential opponents they could play against.  This year's format will broaden the range of potential opponents.
-Rush, Dreamline

NegativeZer0

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2015, 09:50:59 AM »
I will be there.  Assuming we get enough players I like the 4 different teams idea.
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!