Author Topic: Dwarves vs. High Elves with HE House Rules  (Read 1400 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Dwarves vs. High Elves with HE House Rules
« on: April 15, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »
Another night, another opportunity to try out some High Elven variations.  The things we worked with are listed below:

High Elves
Precision: Acts as normal but also lowers one die by one on the "to damage" roll.

Oathbound: Play before any courage phase. Each of your units gets +2 courage for the turn.  You may allow one unit to automatically pass its rout check.  If you do, then each unit only gets +1 courage.

We had 2000 points per side with Total Warfare.

Set Up

I had some glare issues with my card covers, so I took this from the side.  Once the game started and the units moved the glare issue was gone so the rest of the pictures would be from head on.

High Elves played by Brook
From top to bottom:
Battle Squad in front of High Elven Knights
High Elven Swordsmen in front of Battle Mages
High Elven Swordsmen
High Elven Swordsmen
High Elven Swordsmen

I was a bit surprised that Brook didn’t even attempt to mislead me into thinking he’d try to do some funky stuff in the forest.  The HE Swordsmen have a lot of staying power against any Dwarven unit not called “Longbeards” and there really wasn’t much I’d be able to do about the Battle Mages.  Against a faction like the Dwarves we like to think of Battle Mages as slightly more expensive Archers that will net you a free command card or two.

Dwarves of Runegard played by Yours Truly
From top to bottom:
Militia in front of Militia
Axemen
Longbeards
Militia
Longbeards
Hammermen
Axemen

I normally will find a way to bring some Antonians for most 2000 point builds, but I was worried about having then wind up dealing with Elven cavalry and that would be really bad.  I absolutely hate Antonians vs. Chariots!  So I decided to use the points to beef up my line and got me two units of Longbeards.  Elves hate Longbeards.

Standing Orders

The 3 HE Swordsmen in front of the hill where capped at 2.5”.  The Battle Mages where targeting the Militia on my left flank with the big black bullseye on it.

Most of my line was ordered to shift 3.5”to the left which would place the stack of Militia firmly in front of the Knights.  I figured this would tie up the Knights for quite some time.  The Hammermen and Axemen on the far right where just set to a standard close.  I made a mistake here because I should have just had the Longbeards next to the Hammermen sprint directly to the top of the hill.  Then again, isolating them could have led to them getting pinched.  So maybe it wasn’t a mistake?

Early Turns

I put Rune of Uruz on both Longbeards because, you know... Longbeards!  My Dwarves did their leftward shuffle and once they where in place I immediately sprinted one of my Longbeards up the hill.  Brook would be able to claim the hill if he wanted to, but at least I’d force him to burn a command action to sprint Swordsmen, which is what he did.  He also sprinted the Swordsmen to the left of them to prevent the one that would wind up taking on the Longbeards from getting pinched.  Brook also used direct control to swivel the Swordsmen back on the flank.  I knew at the beginning of the game that this would happen but I was fine with it because there would be a LOT of dice going up against that wall.  The Battle Mages marked the Militia with 2 damage on their first attack and then totally whiffed on their second attack.  Brook marked Precision on the Knights and all 3 HE Swordsmen on the hill.

Engagement

From left to right:
The Knights barreled into my Militia and the combination of Battle Mage fire and Knightly trampliness with some help from Precision was just enough to put them into the red.  I had played Rune of Protection on the Militia so I felt good about the Militia holding up for at least 1 more turn after this.  However, I failed the courage check and was forced to back up the routed unit with my other Militia.  Not exactly how I drew it up.  The Battle Squad/Axemen fight went as expected while my Longbeards mailed it in with a lame charge turn against HE Swordsmen.  I used direct control to keep Militia from engaging HE Swordsmen on the hill.  My other Longbeard unit was behind in damage to the HE Swordsmen on top of the hill.  I was fighting uphill but that effectively made them Battleaxemen with a 4 defensive toughness so I though I still should be winning that fight.  This was not a good start.

On the Dwarves’ following turn – I’m pretty sure this was taken before we rolled the attacks for the twos-company engagement.

From left to right:
The Militia got pounded for 5(!) damage this turn.  No, it wasn’t a charge turn.  What’s up with these Knights?  I saw the writing on the wall with the Knights so put a Rune on my Axemen trying to do anything that will get them to win their fight quickly.  The Battle Squad goes into the yellow but Oathbound helped them pass their check.  Longbeards and HE Swordsmen put each other into the yellow and both pass their check.  The above mentioned Oathbound was used to give the Swordsmen the auto-pass.  The Militia are finally engaged and that one is going as expected.  Longbeards and HE Swordsmen on the hill totally whiffed against each other this round.  Yeah, that really happened.  IIRC the Axemen/Hammermen team yielded a mere 2 points of damage on their charge while the HE Swordsmen marked 2 damage on the Hammermen.

From left to right:
I played cards liberally on my Militia in the hopes of keeping them around for 1 more turn and I was thrilled when the chronically hot-and-cold Battlemages totally missed with their ranged attack.  However, I was unable to prevent the Knights from doing the 2 damage and that was the end of that.  I wasn’t even able to get the conciliatory point of damage on the Knights for either of the Militia units that they’d vanquished.  Axemen where slowly wearing down the Battle Squad, but it was not going as quickly as I needed it to.  HE Swordsmen put in a lousy attack round against Longbeards and the Beards don’t do much better.  Militia are getting worn down by HE Swordsmen on the hill as expected.  I wasn’t feeling very good about this game at all until something wonderful happened and the Longbeards on the hill put in a brutal attack round, doing 4 damage and blasting the HE Swordsmen clean into the red!  The Swordsmen would pass their check (maybe Oathbound again?) but they where now on the clock.  The Hammermen/Axemen did a sad point of damage to the HE Swordsmen on the flank and the Swordsmen responded in kind with a point of damage on the Hammermen.

Endgame – Maneuver Mastery does the trick

From left to right:
My Axemen where unable to eliminate the Battle Squad before the Knights swooped in with a pinch.  The Axemen where gone in 2 attack rounds, leaving the Battle Squad with a single red box remaining.  The Longbeards faced the same fate but at least managed to take HE Swordsmen with them.  My final Militia unit was all but gone and the Battle Mages aren’t helping, but at least my other Longbeard unit got fired up enough to eliminate their Swordsmen opponents that where on top of the hill.  On the right, the HE Swordsmen enduring the twos company proved to be the first and only High Elven unit to fail a courage check and all of those Dwarven dice cut them down during free attacks.

There’s a party on the hill and everybody wants some!  The Longbeards flank the last remaining unit of HE Swordsmen and both units inflict grievous damage to each other.  Hammermen get sprinted to threaten a flank on the Knights if they choose to flank the Longbeards.  Both the Longbeards and Swordsmen would eventually fall.  Brook started backing the Knights off until he could draw the command cards he wanted.  Hammermen are nice, but I’m still trying to figure out why he didn’t just ram into the Hammermen who where in the yellow.  I was holding an Accuracy at this point, but the Knights still would have survived that. 

My Axemen rolled over the remnants of the Battle Squad and started pursuing the Battle Mages while the Hammermen continued to trudge after the Knights.  Brook was using direct control for both units to get the Maneuver Mastery so that neither of my units would ever be able to catch his, even if I sprinted them.  We called the game here.

Final Thoughts

The fiasco with my Militia stack vanishing so quickly was nearly catastrophic.  I really expected them to last longer than they did but the first one failing a courage check at a 13 and the Knights consistently getting above average damage led to different results.  This was somewhat mitigated by the Battle Mages doing OK for a turn or two and then totally forgetting where to aim their swirly sprays of destructive force.  Or whatever it is they do.  I could have gotten a pinch with the Axemen and Hammermen on that Swordsmen unit on the Elven left (my right) flank, but it would have cost me 2 full turns of combat with the Axemen and it turned out that the twos-company achieved the same thing in the end.  Despite what seemed like some wacky stuff, this turned out to be a very close game.

Precision – Brook used it 4 times this game.  It netted him a couple(?) points of damage this game even though it’s as useful against Dwarves as it would be against a faction with a lot of units with a defensive toughness of 1.

Oathbound – The Auto pass feature may have saved Brook’s bacon when played on the HE Swordsmen facing the Longbeards off of the hill.  The second time he used the auto pass was probably on the Swordsmen on top of the hill facing Longbeards and that may have led to the Longbeards pinching another HE unit.  Of course this is speculation because the odds where in favor of passing both courage checks anyways.

Heroes of the Game

High Elves – How could I not list the Knights who where involved in the destruction of 2 units of Milita along with Axemen and never suffered a scratch to their fancy armor?

Dwarves – The Longbeards that kicked High Elven Swordsmen off the top of the hill and then flanked their neighbors.  It took them a while to get going, but who else am I to list here?

"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Dwarves vs. High Elves with HE House Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 02:15:41 PM »
Nice report! 

So I'm a bit confused by your deployment.  How is it that you ended up with Hammermen and Axemen all the way on the other end of your DZ like that?  I mean, you basically took like 500pts out of the game and essentially gave up the hill.  Now, I know that with pictures its hard to capture alternate deployment, hence my question. Did you drop those two units early, before you saw Brook's plan?  Personally, I'd drop 3 units in the center first and then work my way out.  Yeah maybe you get one unit stuck out past his line, but not two because he's got to eventually reveal his plan.  And while it sucks to have to drop a unit of Axemen in backup, I think that's better than having them all the way out on the end.

And why in the name of the Chocolate Coated Christ did you deploy BACK?  Assuming you go first, you can get to the second level of the hill by Sprinting.  If both players have the same MC (which de facto you both do, whether you both sprint or both don't), then the player who goes first will get to the summit.  And you have a CA advantage in doing so (he has to spend 1 CA for 1 Sprint, whereas you're 1 for 2)

Most of my line was ordered to shift 3.5”to the left which would place the stack of Militia firmly in front of the Knights.

I think your mistake was here.  Sliding sideways like that takes two turns, effectively ceding the hill to Brook.  Giving High Elves the uphill advantage is never a good idea.

I think you should have given the 3 leftmost units (plus the backup Militia) objectives to advance and wheel to close off that gap and put your Militia in front of the Knights.  Then the Longbeards on your right sprint up the hill, with the other units Sprinting if necessary, although I think you'd be able to protect your flanks without it.

Precision – Brook used it 4 times this game.  It netted him a couple(?) points of damage this game even though it’s as useful against Dwarves as it would be against a faction with a lot of units with a defensive toughness of 1.

Yeah, and it should, because its broken powerful.  A High Elf charging a D:2/x unit will get 5.67 hits.  Meaning most of the time he'll be rolling 6 dice to wound, making it likely to roll at least one die where Precision can turn a miss into a wound.  My back of the envelope math says that a HE Swordsmen charging a Dwarf Axemen will do +1.33 damage with Precision (or, if you prefer, 4 wounds when used on 3 units).  That's better than playing a Might or a Cunning, and is almost as good as playing a Force.

Oathbound – The Auto pass feature may have saved Brook’s bacon when played on the HE Swordsmen facing the Longbeards off of the hill.  The second time he used the auto pass was probably on the Swordsmen on top of the hill facing Longbeards and that may have led to the Longbeards pinching another HE unit.  Of course this is speculation because the odds where in favor of passing both courage checks anyways.

Odds of both Cge 13 units passing their Yellow checks is about a coin flip.  This card is also way too powerful (look at the Umenzi Courage card: it "only" lets a unit auto-pass a check.  It doesn't come with an option for +2 to every unit and it doesn't grant +1 Cge to all units if you go with the autopass option).  Also, as you saw in this game, it stopped a 50/50 chance of you getting a breakthrough.

All that aside, I think you were going to have a tough time this game, Marcus.  It looks to me that Brook flat out-played you.

BubblePig

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »
I moved some comments on this thread to http://ymgforum.com/index.php/topic,10147.0.html in the house rules and proposals folder, since IMO the discussion was more about proposed rule changes than about the game.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 05:17:36 PM »
Great report, fun read as always. I like to see what Runegard can do because I never play them and James isn't around anymore (and is around a lot less), oh the joys of fatherhood...

Its easy to critique as hindsight, but if I had been playing v HE I would have yielded the hill and pushed on both flanks doing the ol' double envelopment. I also lose a lot, so take that for what it's worth. 8)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/