Author Topic: Elves, Hill Giants, and more  (Read 13619 times)

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: Elves, Hill Giants, and more
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »
Well, numidian cavalry are made for soaking up impact hits.  Yeah, that's a good plan against the GWE base attacks.  Now if everybody had a unit like numidian cavalry.........the GWE wouldn't be so bad ass...but alas.....they don't.  Carthage is also one of those factions that has all the answers AND cheap units.  It can mitigate what the GWE can do better than most.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Zelc

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2015, 12:21:02 AM »
Any cheap unit is made for soaking up impact hits assuming it's backed up :).

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2015, 09:19:17 AM »
I think I played a game in Championship one year when someone took 2x GWE and I saw it coming.  I tanked them with a Numidian Cavalry backed up by Scutarii each, and I don't think the Numidian Cavalry even died (maybe one did).  That's how bad the base GWE attack is.
I'm thinking that was probably pre-dice charge.  And you where taking at least damage per turn from the Colossal guys, yes?

My take on the GWE is that there is no other unit in the game you want to avoid being charged by than that one (Hydras and Smaug aside) but once that charge turn is over it turns into a big, dumb tank.  It's basically a Triceratops Herd mutated to the Nth degree.
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

Zelc

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2015, 10:10:23 AM »
Yes to both :). Dice charge probably means 1 extra damage. Regardless, I was not in any danger of losing that fight quickly.  Dice charge also isn't going to help against the chump stack.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
Yeah, that's another thing that needs to be fixed.  If a unit is using the back up rule it should suffer a final rush from the opposing unit(or some other kind of bonus)  I think it would help the game if you could speed up being able to chop through a chump stack.  The unit that is rushing in seems to get too good of a deal.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2016, 11:34:15 AM »
Marcus and I played a session of battleground this past Friday and I took the Monsters and Mercs faction.  I noticed that the explaination of the ranged attack on the hill giant is not well worded. 

I think it should read:

Spend two command actions to take direct control of this unit.  While direct controlled it may make a ranged attack at 21".

Kevin

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2016, 11:41:04 AM »
That's a minor upgrade, but not unreasonable at all.  If you're making the giant pay enough attention to you to check a boulder it seems fine that it'll also go where you tell it to go and throw at the target you select.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2016, 04:48:02 PM »
That's the way we played it.  It seems ok.  What came up was me trying to use it's ranged attack.  The way it's written is I had to spend two command actions to make it a ranged unit, then spend two to direct control it.  One to direct control and one because it has a stupid keyword.  I was like, holy crap, 4 of my command actions just to have this thing throw and not move where I didn't want it to go?  Seemed a bit much.  Marcus and I though that 2 command actions was sufficient to take direct control and use the ranged attack.  Anything more than that it becomes too restrictive and very un-fun to play.