Author Topic: Command card reprints  (Read 3360 times)

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Command card reprints
« on: December 04, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »
I couldn't find where we discussed this so I'll just start this thread.

How to fix errata'd Command Cards.

1. Print out new Card. I just print on regular paper.
2. Cut out new card. try to get as close to the outside edge as you can, but make sure not to include any of the white as this will hang over the edge.
3. Edge new card. Take a black marker and draw it along the edge to black out the white edge. This makes a huge difference once the finished product is viewed.
4. Brush rubber cement to back of new card. Rubber cement is the stuff to use so that the card retains its flexibility while shuffling.
5. Apply new card to old. Carefully place the new card over the old and smooth out any bubbles or creases.
6. Admire handiwork. Ooooh pretty.

With a little practice you can create errata'd cards that are practically indistinguishable from the originals.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Gabbi

Re: Command card reprints
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 06:42:37 AM »
Problem is, no every updated/corrected card is available on the website. So I'm tinkering a bit with the PDFs, and here's the first one I made:

or, for a completely different variant...

What do you think?
Ofcourse, first one is more coherent with the rest of the deck, but I'm not fully satisfied on how the card name's background has tuned out. Must tamper a bit more with it...

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »
Holy crap that's AMAZING:o

I'm partial to the art on the second version--when given the choice between consistent and awesome I'll go with awesome every time!  :)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 10:55:14 AM »
What Kevin said.

Gabbi

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 06:22:10 PM »
Thanks! :)

Updated version of first one:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 06:30:46 PM by Gabbi »

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 08:02:15 PM »
Super cool!

Gabbi

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »
Thanks!
Here are a couple more:

I would change the image on background, but my resources are limited to what's available on the YMG website (i.e. the wallpapers)...

Gabbi

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 01:17:01 PM »
By overlapping two different Command Cards with differently placed text, I managed to obtain a clean version of the green Orc Command Card, so I can make the corrected ones indistinguishable by originals. Or to be precise, I would be able if I had good scans in first place. Unfortunately, not owning a scanner myself, I must rely on a coworker who makes what he could. After a couple of tries I've managed to get a 400dpi scan, now let's see If I can get an uncompressed file :P

Anyway, here's what I was able to do with the provided scans:

The green is a bit off, I think, but I cannot hope for a scan done with a profiled scanner when I still can't get a file not mangled by compression artefacts...

Out of curiosity, wich Decks have all differet cards, and wich have same design per same color?

Gabbi

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:48:23 AM »
Update: I had made some tests with an online printing service, and yesterday I've received my custom printed cards.

Here are a couple of pics, followed by some thoughts...

All the above are custom printed cards, bar the rightmost Battle Lust.
Printed cards don't match perfectly colors, not a real issue, as original cards do (my two original Hawkshold Hardened backgrounds are of two quite different shades of blue, one way more purple-ish than the other). Also, image is not as crisp as in original cards and the printer cut all the damn cards slighly off-center, so the image is shifted to the right (with different degrees of severity, and I have to admit that some hardly noticeable, if you don't look for it).

The backs (original on the left, custom printed on the right) present quite some color shift, mainly in the sky. All the image is more grayish and less blue (it is less saturated, to say stuff the proper way).
Anyway, once sleeved and in-game, you'll hardly notice it (if you're not specifically looking for hues differences), and once in hand of your opponent across the table they're not easily spottable (tested myself). Ofcourse, you can guess if the card you're drawing next is a printed one, but I don't see this as a too severe unbalance factor. Plus the first three armies have a good number of revised cards, so even knowing you're going to get one of those, it will not be of so much help.Obviously, you can sleeve command decks with opaque sleeves and fully cancel the problem.

In the end, I'm not so disappointed by the results, the cards are usable and I had already replaced them in my decks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 01:53:08 PM by Gabbi »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 11:12:34 AM »
Really, REALLY nice!
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »
We're all jealous, man.

Gabbi

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 02:19:51 PM »
Thanks. The project started as something I did for sharing with the community, but some problems stopped me from completing it.
Fortunately, it seems Chad is realistically considering to make a POD replacement, so I can definitely put this project to rest :)

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 02:41:55 PM »
I'm pretty sure getting pdfs of all the changed cards is Kaile's current project.

BubblePig

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »
That is outstanding.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »
Kaile is preparing a POD "errata" deck that anyone can order from a POD company and that will also be available as a free print-and-play product.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules