Author Topic: Four More Special Situations  (Read 4011 times)

Kevin

• Playtester
Four More Special Situations
« on: November 18, 2014, 07:50:08 PM »
I'm tentatively planing to use these four new Special Situations (in addition to many others) at Championship.

Strategic Deception

Before deployment, mark the bottom side (= the side with the large picture, special rules, and flavor text) of up to two units costing a total of up to 500 points which you otherwise could take.  Put these in your army, but you do not have to pay for them.  Army point costs are not declared to the opponent, but are given to a third party who declares which army is cheaper.  Players deploy and give orders normally.

After deployment and orders, players reveal the marked units.  These units are immediately removed from play.

Troop Scarcity

Before army build, each player does the following in order:

1)  Name one Elite unit in the opponent’s army or one mercenary.  The opponent may not deploy this unit.  

2)  Names one Core unit in the opponent’s army.  This unit counts as Elite (and not Core).

Choices are revealed simultaneously.

Well-Practiced

Each player starts the game with 3 tokens.  

Each token may be spent either to re-roll the to-hit or to-damage dice from an attack, or to make the opponent do so.  Spending tokens does not count as a playing command cards, though they can not be played when a card says that dice can not be re-rolled.  You may spend multiple tokens per attack.

Reluctant Ogres

Each player gets one unit of clueless Ogres at zero cost.

Treat these Ogres as mercenary units (even if a player is playing the Monsters and Mercenaries” faction), though they do not count toward any limit on mercenary units.
Their first turn of engagement (this game), they are automatically frightened.
In addition, the Ogres must be deployed flush against the rear edge of your Deployment Zone, and be given initial orders of (unmodified) Hold.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:06:29 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

Re: Four More Special Situations
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »
I like these, but I am a bit concerned that Brook will want to flip the table >:( when he has to use his reroll tokens early and then I use mine to make him reroll his good attacks later on in the game.  :P

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:40:15 AM »
I think all of these are cool except this one:

Troop Scarcity

Before army build, each player does the following in order:
1)  Name one Elite unit in the opponent’s army or one mercenary.  The opponent may not deploy this unit.  
2)  Names one Core unit in the opponent’s army.  This unit counts as Elite (and not Core).

Choices are revealed simultaneously.
This effects some factions more than others.  Orc and Roman players really won't care if they are denied any of their elite units while Dwarves will be miserable when Antonians are nixed.  And you can really screw over the Undead by nixing Death Knights AND making Zombies Elite for the same game.  I'm thinking this one should be rethought.  IMO of course.

Ambivalent Ogres
...Their first turn of engagement (this game), they are automatically frightened....
This is hilarious simply for the possibility of them running into a group of freaky little guys like Brownies or Hatchlings and skipping around on their toes while going "Eek!  Eek!" in deep, rumbling voices.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 11:46:47 AM »
Reluctant Ogres
...Their first turn of engagement (this game), they are automatically frightened....
This is hilarious simply for the possibility of them running into a group of freaky little guys like Brownies or Hatchlings and skipping around on their toes while going "Eek!  Eek!" in deep, rumbling voices.

Yeah.   :) The "frightened" is more meant to reflect that they're just not all that into fighting initially, though once the blood starts flowing they get excited and do what Ogres do.  

This effects some factions more than others.  Orc and Roman players really won't care if they are denied any of their elite units while Dwarves will be miserable when Antonians are nixed.  And you can really screw over the Undead by nixing Death Knights AND making Zombies Elite for the same game.  I'm thinking this one should be rethought.  IMO of course.

Bear in mind that, as with all other tournaments, everyone gets to veto a Special Situation, in the theory that many Special Situations overly favor one side, so if you really hate one of them the good news is you never have to play it!  (Though I still think the Undead can be perfectly viable without Zombies, though it depends on what they're facing.)

That said, I'm all for giving the people what they want.  So consider it nixed!  I'll come up with another one later.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 12:06:15 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 01:00:16 PM »
If you're looking for some ideas, here's ones that I've always loved doing:

The Keep:  Standard units count as Core units for fulfilling Core requirements.

The Castle:  Elite units count as Core units for fulfilling Core requirements. (You could choose to keep them restricted to 1 per 1,000 pts or remove it altogether)

Religious Conversion:
Each player rolls on the table 3 times to determine Mercenaries, once for Core, Standard, & Elite.  Players must take ?500 pts of Merc, but Core Merc. units fulfill Core requirements.
2:  Dwarves of Runeguard
3:  High Elves
4:  Lizardmen
5:  Hawkshold
6:  Orcs
7:  Carthage
8:  Umenzi
9: Rome
10:  Elves of Ravenwood
11: Undead
12:  Dark Elves

(Note, you'd need to update this for Wuxing & AvP)

Scouts:  During army building, players may spend points on Scouts.  Whichever player spent more points may add or remove 1 small terrain per 25 pts spent (max 4 terrain pieces).

Emergency Levy:  During army muster, players are limited to Core choices of their primary faction plus what they roll below (each player rolls):

1-2:  Mercenary Core, Standard, & Elite units.
3: Standard + Mercenary Core & Standard units.
4:  Standard + Mercenary Elite & Standard units.
5:  Elite + Mercenary Core & Standard units
6:  Elite + Mercenary Elite & Standard units.

False Flag:  During army building, players may spend points on False Flag.  Whichever player spent more points may choose a new deployment map.

Spies:  Players choose {1100, 1500, 1900}pts of army, and  reveal their choices.  Then players complete army muster.  Core requirements only need to be met at end of army muster.  (Numbers in brackets are for a 1500/2000/2500 pt game, respectively).

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2014, 01:26:41 PM »
I like the "Spies" one a lot, though will have to rename it "Reconnaissance" or something like that because one of the other homebrew ones is called "Spies."  Thanks!   :)

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2014, 02:19:07 PM »
I figured you would.   ;D  I tried to include a bunch of the ones that involved bidding, because I know that appeals to you.

One thing though:  counting Standard as Core can be a really fun one as well.  It opens up a lot of possibility for army builds.  It also lets devious minds like Tim have some real fun.  The expression on my opponent's face when I plopped down 4 Dusk Lances was worth the karma the dice gods handed to me for doing it.  Well, almost worth it.   :'(

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 02:20:59 PM »
One thing though:  counting Standard as Core can be a really fun one as well.  It opens up a lot of possibility for army builds.

I've been using a variant of that one for years:

Armored Keep

Each player chooses one (The choice does not have to be revealed until after deployment):

- All non-Elite units count as Core.

- You may have up to 1 more of each type of Elite unit than is normally allowed.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:27:15 PM by Kevin »

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2014, 02:56:52 PM »
Somehow I missed that.

How has Tim not been abusing people with Centaur spam lists?  Is it because it's hard to fit Healer Mages into a 5 Centaur list?   8)

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2014, 05:53:25 PM »
Heh.  But seriously, I have something like 15-20 Special Situations.  Players play 3-5 games at a con featuring one of these (on rare occasion 2), based on drawing 3 and vetoing 1 each, so most don't get played by a given person at a given con.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 07:01:26 PM »
Had a thought for another one, since you like head games like bidding:

Each player chooses one "vanguard" unit that will be in his army, and simultaneously reveal the units.  Players then build their army, with the points level = 2,000 + cost of most expensive of the two "vanguard" units.  Players must include the vanguard unit in their build.

Ex:  I choose Ancient Red Dragon (691 pts)  You choose Peasants (70 pts).  We reveal, meaning we'll be playing a 2691 pt game.  I have to take the Ancient Red Dragon, and you have to include the Peasants. 

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »
I get what you're trying to do, but under those conditions I'd bid for something that was a no-brainer to put into any army, erring on the cheap side (Triarii for Rome, Zombies for Undead, Brownies for Ravenwood, etc.) and smile to myself as the Dragon-vanguard opponent tips his hand.  What's the incentive ever to take something big?

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
M'eh, probably not a good one then.  Maybe there's something in there from this idea.

BubblePig

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2014, 11:45:07 PM »
Simple fix, the player with the higher cost unit gets the point difference divided by x command cards. The lower x is the greater the incentive, but 50 would probably be sufficiently low.

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 10:06:50 AM »
Interesting idea.  Would take a lot of playtesting, though.  Get the number wrong and you might end up with an infestation of Ancient Red Dragons.