Author Topic: Championship 2015 at Totalcon (new thread)  (Read 22829 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Championship 2015 at Totalcon (new thread)
« on: November 06, 2014, 08:56:20 PM »
The Championship 2015 Tournament will be at the Total Confusion gaming convention,  in Mansfield, Massachusetts.  February 21-22.   The convention itself starts on Thursday, Feb. 19; many players will be there Thursday and Friday, playing Battleground informally.  

Update:  The event is M-305, 10am Saturday on the schedule.  Also, Friday night is event M-217, pre-tournament games, detailed here.  Go here to pre-register,.

This will be the fifth annual Championship tournament.  Last year we got 11 players.  This year we're expecting more (The post below this one has a roll-call.  Post if you're coming!). Hopefully you will be one of them!  ;)  

If you have any questions, feel free to ask below.  Many "veterans" will be happy to answer.

Saturday Schedule:

Sign ups at 10am.  Game 1 starts at 10:15 AM sharp.  Round 4 games likely will end between 9:30 and 10:30 PM.

Take any published faction (fantasy or historical) and play it for the tournament.

Game 1:  2000 points, Ticking Clock, Terrain.

Game 2:  1750 points, (3CAs, 3 Core, 1 Elite), Total Warfare, Terrain, Special Situation

Game 3:  2250 (4 CAs, 4 Core, 2 Elite), Total Warfare, Open Map + Night battle. (= Secret-and-simultaneous deployment and range attacks have a maximum range of 7".) and 1 other Special Situation.

Game 4:  2000 points, Total Warfare, Terrain, Special Package Bid #1.  (Special packages will be announced 1 week before the tournament.  Suffice it to say they will be pretty simple.)

First round pairings will be random, except that players in the same game group won't be matched vs. each other.  Further ones will be "Swiss," meaning players with similar records will play vs. each other--so you'll end up playing more people with levels of experience similar to your own.

If we have an odd number of people in a given round, one game will be 2-on-1.

Sunday features two events, both starting at 10am.

1)  Single-elimination finals!  Everyone who goes at least 2-2 makes it to the final rounds!  (Unless this would result in over 8 players in the finals, in which case players who go 2-2 play a tiebreaker speed game Saturday night.)

Quarterfinals:  1500, Total Warfare, Terrain, 2 Special Situations.
Semifinals:  Ticking Clock, 2000, Terrain, Special Package Bid #2
Finals:  2000 Terrain, Total Warfare  (In the finals game 5 pieces of terrain will be offered, with each player making 2 vetoes.)

2)  Sunday Swiss consolation tournament:  a less formal, multi-round mini-tournament open to everyone who was knocked out of the main tournament (including the quarterfinals), as well as folks who just want to play for one day.

Awesome prizes to be awarded!

The top 4 picks go to the top 4 in Championship. First place first pick, second place gets second pick, etc.  Picks 5 and on go to those in the Sunday Swiss.  The winner of Sunday Swiss gets 5th pick, 2nd gets 6th pick, etc.

The prizes:

- The complete set of "Order of the Stick" (epic fantasy webcomic) books printed to date! (8 books!)
- The complete set of "Age of Bronze," graphic novels about the Trojan War, published to date.  (4 books!)
- A set of three 99.9%-pure sterling silver dice!  (1 ounce each)--great for rolling rout checks!  
- A collapsible brass telescope.
- A brass compass/sundial combination.
- A bound, error-free copy of the 3.1 rulebook.
- A large letter opener in the style of a Fantasy sword.
- A single 99%-pure sterling silver die (1 ounce) and a set of 12 gold-colored (plastic) dice with silver pips.  This prize goes to the top new/casual player. [1]
- A set of 12 scintillating silvery-colored (plastic) dice.  This prize goes to the #2 new/casual player. [1]

Plus medals and other miniature swords.   Nobody leaves empty-handed!

As with previous Championship Tournaments, many measures to ensure clean games will be practiced:  table dice, armies verified by judges, and all units are put in provided felt-backed card holders to prevent them from accidentally moving.

Also, some special rules and point costs will be used.  You can see the package of rules here.

Here are the 18 Special Situations we'll be using at Championship.

[1] A player is considered new/casual unless he/she has done at least one of the following:

- Placed in the top 4 at a previous Battleground Championship tournament.
- Won the Sunday Swiss tournament.
- Placed in the top 2 at any other Battleground tournament with 6+ players. (e.g. Dexcon)

New/casual players are eligible to win the new/casual player prizes, as well as the regular prizes.

At the moment I'm counting 4 players eligible for new/casual player prizes.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:07:17 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Championship 2015 at Totalcon (new thread)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
Let's do a roll call!

Underlined = first time!
italics = second time (competing)!
neither = 3rd, 4th, or 5th time!

Going: 12

Rob, Eric, Lance, me, Blakely, Moose, Ron, Marcus, Brook, Tim, Jaime, Dave.

Likely to swing by, but probably not playing in the entire thing: 1

Chad (who likely will be at Totalcon promoting his new business)

Who else?  Kickstarter folks?  Brett and Laurie?  Manny?  Niko?  Seth?  Bohan?  Others?  

Consider this a personal invitation.  Come on in, the water's warm!  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 11:50:28 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:37 PM »
I am "most likely going".
I vote for allowing historical factions.
Will hopefully be closing on the house in the next several days.  I'll have more bandwidth to think about gaming stuff in a few weeks.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2014, 11:09:04 PM »
Yes, all published factions, fantasy and historical, will be playable!  Hope you can make it, and good luck with the closing!  Those things are either easy or ridiculously annoying.  :)

gpman

• Playtester
  • laying low in a blood filled trench
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 05:53:41 AM »
I really doubt you'll see us, I90 in February is a death trap and a 10 hour trip can turn into 15 or more easily.
wack falol da rah!

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 08:18:15 AM »
Too bad, Brett!  I was hoping to see you guys, and that we'd see the first all-female tournament game between Laurie and Blakely!  :)  But you're right that it would be quite a distance to travel.  I don't suppose you have a bunch of air miles burning a hole in your pocket?  ;)

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 10:06:04 AM »
I really doubt you'll see us, I90 in February is a death trap and a 10 hour trip can turn into 15 or more easily.

While I completely understand where you are coming from last year we had great weather all weekend. 
Problem is you wont know till that weekend and by then it's too late to make plans with how far you have to come :(
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »
Quick question concerning High Elven adjusted points costs.  I know why the HE Spearmen, Swordsmen, EB Swordsmen, and Celestial Guard got the discount.  But why did the Rangers and EB Rangers get it?
"I have memory and awareness - But I have no shape or form
As a disembodied spirit I am dead and yet unborn
I have passed into Olympus as was told in tales of old
To the city of Immortals, marble white, and purest gold"
-Rush, Hemispheres

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 10:43:07 AM »
Quick question concerning High Elven adjusted points costs.  I know why the HE Spearmen, Swordsmen, EB Swordsmen, and Celestial Guard got the discount.  But why did the Rangers and EB Rangers get it?

Short version: Because I said so.   :)

Long version;  IMHO a 3% surcharge is slightly excessive for "unsexy target", particularly on a non-Core unit that's already hard to hit, since the opponent likely will just shoot at something else.  And I also feel that MC5" is slightly overpriced.  IMHO between those two the Rangers (& EBRs) ended up a tad too pricey.  (This opinion also is grounded in the experience of them generally underperforming when I took 'em.)  When all comparable High Elf units are overpriced the Rangers look about right in a relative sense, but when the other High Elf infantry are brought down the Rangers stick out like a sore thumb.  IIRC their cost got shaved down 2%, as opposed to 3% for most other High Elf infantry.

--------

Worth noting that I personally won't be playing the High Elves, and the prices are the same as the last 2 years.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 11:23:11 AM by Kevin »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
OK, thanks!  For what it's worth the High Elves are on my short list of factions to play at the tournament. I was just curious.
-Rush, Hemispheres

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2014, 12:15:29 AM »
You already counted me, but I'm pretty sure I'll be there.  If for no other reason to finally decide who can get more pissed at Kevin in a 5 minute window. 

Mexico

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »
i fully intend to be there.

Moose

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »
I might actually be able to make it this year. Have to discuss with my wife before committing for sure

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 03:44:10 PM »
Holy crap Steve, that would be outstanding!
-Rush, Hemispheres

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 06:00:07 PM »
What Marcus said!   :)