Author Topic: The Chad Ellis Ravenwood Review  (Read 46746 times)

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: The Chad Ellis Ravenwood Review
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
He used it twice against me in the semi-finals game.  One time it helped him, the other time it didn't matter.  I believe both times he used it he just wanted the extra attack die, but ended up having to make a rout check also.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #151 on: August 23, 2014, 07:49:44 AM »
Technically, we're all half centaur.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #152 on: August 25, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
Just wanted to give some suggestions about improving the Ravenwood command deck.  I do think it is a little lack luster. 

Some changes I would make are:

Aspect of Wolverine: Keep the card as it is now except that the unit gets +2 courage if it has to make a rout check.  There was some talk about increasing the hit dice.  I did forget why that was shot down.

Aspect of Fox: Add and additional (-1) dice if the opposing unit is charging.

Aspect of Bear:  I think that this card should of been switched around giving the unit (+2) +0/+1.   The -1 to offensive skill is too steep of a price to pay with most of the units having a 5/5 offensive stat.

Aspect of Stag: Card is fine as is.  Wouldn't change a thing.

Aspect of Wolf: Card is fine as is.  Wouldn't change a thing.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »
Aspect of Wolverine: Keep the card as it is now except that the unit gets +2 courage if it has to make a rout check.  There was some talk about increasing the hit dice.  I did forget why that was shot down.

I'm of two minds on this one.  Its an interesting card because you can still play Blue cards with it, so it makes for an interesting card to take on Fearsome units.  You may be right that it could use a little sprucing up (rimshot), but I'm not sure it rises to the level of justifying an errata.

Aspect of Fox: Add and additional (-1) dice if the opposing unit is charging.

That's an interesting take, and I could see it.  I'd actually go a little further and make it a card blocker.  After you play Aspect of the Fox, your opponent can't play any Red cards.

Aspect of Bear:  I think that this card should of been switched around giving the unit (+2) +0/+1.   The -1 to offensive skill is too steep of a price to pay with most of the units having a 5/5 offensive stat.

(+2)+0/+1 is way too good.  Its better than Cunning, and this army already has a faction specific card that is better than Cunning.  Aspect of the Bear is a situational card.  If you play it on a (5)5/5 unit attacking a D:2/2 unit, then its going to produce lackluster results.  But if you play it against a D:1/3 unit, then your Swordsmen go from 1.11 damage to 2 damage.  And if you play it against a D:1/4 unit, you go from .55 damage to 1.5 damage (i.e. 0-1 point to 1-2 points inflicted).  Against the right enemy, Aspect of the Bear is really awesome.

And the flexibility to use it as Blue card is nice.  Especially when the enemy plays Accuracy to be 4s and 4s.  You can play Aspect of the Bear to make almost entirely negate the effect.  And that's just on the D:3/1 Ravenwood units.  On the D:2/2 it's almost an extra Mettle.  And with the Treant or Bear Pack, you can essentially negate his Force card.

I think what you're struggling with is that a lot of Ravenwood cards are very situational.  And that's absolutely true.  Against High Elves, Aspect of the Bear is almost useless as a Red card.  But that's true for a lot of factions.  Dark Elves Butcher the Unworthy is basically a Strike with an extra cookie.  Well, against Dwarves & Orcs, another Strike isn't as helpful as against (say) Ravenwood or High Elves.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2019, 11:46:43 PM »
I was looking at the Ravenwood faction last night and I have come to the conclusion that the command deck is kinda lame/boring compared to most others.  Their faction specific cards need some improvement IMHO. 

Cards that I think are perfectly fine

Aspect of Wolf
Aspect of Stag

That's where it ends for me.....

Aspect of Bear:  I think the bonuses are fine but the card should provide a +2 courage if a rout check needs to be made.  Ravenwood needs some courage help, but just a little.

Aspect of Oak:  Perhaps it could be combined with Aspect of Fox to a combo card where you can choose which one you want.

Aspect of Wolverine: It should give +3 dice for the turn, pass all pre-combat courage checks that turn, and give +1 courage per unit that it's engaged with for any rout checks.

Also, what about giving the Wolf Pack a stat bar like this GG/YYYY/R.  Not sure how much more expensive they would be but this unit is just horrible with the restrictions even with the 7" move.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: March 01, 2019, 12:10:52 PM »
I was looking at the Ravenwood faction last night and I have come to the conclusion that the command deck is kinda lame/boring compared to most others. 

Personally I don't think they're lame.  I think they're different than most other factions and so that makes them hard to use.

Aspect of Bear:  I think the bonuses are fine but the card should provide a +2 courage if a rout check needs to be made.  Ravenwood needs some courage help, but just a little.

I'm not sure I agree there.  The utility this card brings is really nice.  As a Blue card it's a good defense when someone brings and anti-Elf unit like Marauders.  And the ability to make Bear Kin into D:1/4 for a turn...   :o

As a Red card, it makes it so that your line units can start to tear into D:1/3 units.

Aspect of Oak:  Perhaps it could be combined with Aspect of Fox to a combo card where you can choose which one you want.

Oh god no!  Aspect of the Oak is a phenomenal card!  It's another "Anti Anti-Elf" card in that it turns your regular guys in D:1/3 for a turn.  And then they prevent 1 damage!  This card is amazing.

Aspect of Wolverine: It should give +3 dice for the turn, pass all pre-combat courage checks that turn, and give +1 courage per unit that it's engaged with for any rout checks.

Okay now I think you're on to something.  Not sure about the +3 dice, but the Courage bonus per engaged unit.... I think that might be worth exploring.

Also, what about giving the Wolf Pack a stat bar like this GG/YYYY/R.  Not sure how much more expensive they would be but this unit is just horrible with the restrictions even with the 7" move.

I'm not sure that 2 Green gets you anything over 1 Green, especially with for a D:2/1 unit.  If you're trying to make them more survivable, then I'd probably increase them to 3 Green.  Is it the issue of they run from melee too quickly?  Or they are vulnerable to shooting?

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2019, 04:45:09 PM »
Well, with the Aspect of Bear Card I wasn't really thinking about actual Bearkin units.  If you play it on Ravenwood Sword, Spears, Wolfkin or Wolf packs (or even archers for that matter) it's really not that great....

Ravenwood is my favorite faction but I'm never happy about getting an Aspect of Bear card.  In your example above, (Marauders vs Ravenwood spearmen), the Marauders are still going to ravage the unit even if the card is played.  6's and 2's is not the greatest...especially with all those dice.  The offensive aspect of the card blows too because any Ravenwood line unit that doesn't call itself Centaurs will have a 4 offensive skill.  The reason why I wanted it to grant some courage is because I think the card is marginal at best on it's own.  Yeah it has some flexibility (offense and defense) but even with that it's still not great.  The faction always has been a bit weak with couarge, this would be a chance to improve that.  Plus bears are brave(i.e. bear pack has a 14 courage).  The card should reflect that.

The prevent a damage aspect of Aspect of Oak is great.   -2/+2 isn't....., but because of the prevent damage aspect, two in the deck would be good.  So if having a combo card is too powerful then just ditch aspect of fox and put two of the Aspect of Oaks in there....Now if you could play aspect of Fox against the Elementalist.....then we'd be talking, but you can't.  What about if the card was a combo defensive card and movement card?

Aspect of Fox:  Give your unit +1 movement class this turn.  If this unit is attacked, the attacking unit gets (-2) 0/0.  No other cards may be played on this unit when it's attacking or defending.

I like it!!!!

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2019, 06:01:14 PM »
Well, with the Aspect of Bear Card I wasn't really thinking about actual Bearkin units.  If you play it on Ravenwood Sword, Spears, Wolfkin or Wolf packs (or even archers for that matter) it's really not that great....

See I think of it as a great counter to Accuracy (when played as a blue).  The other guy is hitting on 4s already.  Hitting on 5s is not that big of an improvement.  But wounding on 2s means he's doing almost 1 pt less.

Ravenwood is my favorite faction but I'm never happy about getting an Aspect of Bear card.  In your example above, (Marauders vs Ravenwood spearmen), the Marauders are still going to ravage the unit even if the card is played.  6's and 2's is not the greatest...especially with all those dice.

Well sure, but the Marauders should win no matter what.  They're a 367pt unit vs a 230pt unit.  They win 91% of the time (according to the combat simulator).  But it definitely slows down their breakthrough.

The offensive aspect of the card blows too because any Ravenwood line unit that doesn't call itself Centaurs will have a 4 offensive skill. 

Sure, which is why it's very "meh" until you fight a D:1/3 unit.  At which point it's really helpful because it's almost an extra Force in the deck.

The prevent a damage aspect of Aspect of Oak is great.   -2/+2 isn't....., but because of the prevent damage aspect, two in the deck would be good.  So if having a combo card is too powerful then just ditch aspect of fox and put two of the Aspect of Oaks in there....Now if you could play aspect of Fox against the Elementalist.....then we'd be talking, but you can't.  What about if the card was a combo defensive card and movement card?

I disagree.  The ability to make a D:3/1 unit into a D:1/3 unit for a turn has been situationally useful on its own.  But the damage prevention makes it a great card.  If you got the added variability of Aspect of the Fox too?  Ugh, that would be way too good.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2019, 04:13:05 PM »
I'm just painting with broad strokes here due to time constraints.  I agree with Brook that the Ravenwood deck is overall kind of lame when compared to most other faction decks, but I think it's pretty exciting at the same time.  It's like the exact polar opposite of the Dwarven command deck.  With Dwarves you have a solid idea of what to expect when drawing cards.  With Ravenwood it's almost random.  This makes the deck very swingy depending on what you draw and what the situation is.  It can be brilliant in some games and next to useless in others.  Even Aspect of Fox has come through strong for me on occasion.  Of course most of the time it's on the short list of lamest faction specific card ever.

But yeah, I've had those situations when drawing cards that I'd prefer a generic card like Strike over almost any faction specific Ravenwood card.  And other times where I get the right card and it's a game changer.  Very unpredictable and I can't decide if that's a feature or a bug.
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Ostegun

« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2019, 08:38:44 PM »
On another note. Changing the faction cards makes it more interesting for people to buy both the old and the new re-edition.

For example with men of hawkshold we are making changes but nothing drastic. With Elves of Ravenwood maybe changing the command deck in a more drastic way might be really interesting since it allows to modify the flavor of the faction a bit and so it doesn't run the risk of people only wanting to buy the new updated Ravenwood but still want to acquire the old Ravenwood.

All of this to say that command card changes should be promoted not necessarily to make them stronger but to modify the flavor somewhat.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
The Ravenwood command deck needs a facelift.  I would say that it needs one more than the Dwarves need improvements on their faction specific command cards.

Aspect of Stag is their best faction specific command card and to me, and even it's lacking something...

Ostegun

« Reply #161 on: March 28, 2019, 05:54:43 AM »
SO changed for two reasons!

;)

Anyways it sounds like change is on the way.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #162 on: March 29, 2019, 03:13:02 PM »
See, I think Aspect of Stag flat out rocks.  Aspect of Oak as well.  Most of the other cards leave you waiting for certain situations to use them.  I think that's both a strength and a weakness of the deck.  Aspect of Wolverine has totally saved my bacon numerous times, but to get it's full value you need to wait to get pinched.  Otherwise it's +2 dice.  Aspect of Wolf is a game changer sometimes, but if you are in a game where the lines are locked and grinding away you just stare at the thing.  I usually find Aspect of Bear to be underwhelming.   

Aspect of Fox is really ho-hum.  If we decide to eve keep the thing I'd say it should be -3 dice if the attacking unit is charging and -2 dice if not.  That would pull it back up to the level.

If we choose to get rid of it, how about... NET STORM!!!  Just like High Elven Attack Storm, but you get to designate 3 units to roll an additional to-hit die for every "1" they roll on the first roll (limit 3 max).  Just like Nets!  Of course this card is an utter disappointment if you are going with a net heavy line...
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light