Author Topic: Any chance of medieval historical armies in the future?  (Read 15261 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Any chance of medieval historical armies in the future?
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
I know this has been a dormant topic,

Most topics are somewhat dormant right now, so we please feel free to offer your thoughts!  We'd love some new ideas & opinions.

but it seems fitting for what I want to add to the concern about too many medieval being similar. I want to add that I think the Hussites with their use of war wagons and being early adapters of gunpowder weapons could make for an interesting faction. Some thought would need to be given as to whether or not to make their war wagons part of the units manning them, or to treat them as terrain fortifications.

I love the Hussites, and tried to make them work when I played Field of Glory.  That said, I'm not sure there's a market for them.

If we were going to include War Wagons, I think they're far more likely to see the table as part of a fantasy type faction.  Maybe if we ever do a fantasy Leonardo da Vinci type factions we could have steam powered War Wagons with blunderbuss-wielding crewmen. 

(I'm just brainstorming though, so don't hold me to that!)

wmarshal

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 11:58:55 AM »
Quote from: Hannibal
If we were going to include War Wagons, I think they're far more likely to see the table as part of a fantasy type faction.  Maybe if we ever do a fantasy Leonardo da Vinci type factions we could have steam powered War Wagons with blunderbuss-wielding crewmen. 

(I'm just brainstorming though, so don't hold me to that!)

So if we’re brainstorming in how they can fit within fantasy 3 ideas come to my mind:
1. A new Dwarven faction that makes use of black powder and steam technology.
2. A new Gnomish (maybe gnome/halfling combo) that makes use of the technologies above, plus some magic.
3. Stand alone units that can included in a new Monsters and Mercenaries deck.

I’d be somewhat hesitant in making the war wagons too much like mobile tanks. Maybe they can’t fire the same turn they move or a similar limitation could help them from being too modern.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 12:20:32 PM »
So if we’re brainstorming in how they can fit within fantasy 3 ideas come to my mind:

Cool ideas.  Some thoughts:

1. A new Dwarven faction that makes use of black powder and steam technology.

Rather than a new faction, we'd probably do a variant faction.  A small deck box with 56 cards that includes a new Command Deck, and 4-6 alternate units.

2. A new Gnomish (maybe gnome/halfling combo) that makes use of the technologies above, plus some magic.
3. Stand alone units that can included in a new Monsters and Mercenaries deck.

An idea we kicked around in our last survey was of a "Constructs and Corsairs" type faction.  It'd be a mercenaries faction, like M&M, but with a theme of clockwork soldiers, pirates, and gunpowder weapons.  I think your gnomes/halflings would fit in there.

I’d be somewhat hesitant in making the war wagons too much like mobile tanks. Maybe they can’t fire the same turn they move or a similar limitation could help them from being too modern.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd give them a cannon or anything like a tank.  They'd probably be more like guys with crossbows/muskets firing out of the side.