Author Topic: Excel Tools for BGFW  (Read 6015 times)

Zelc

• Playtester
Excel Tools for BGFW
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »
A couple Excel sheets for BGFW:

Attack Calculator: Put in the attack and defense lines, along with modifiers, and it not only spits out the expected damage, but also graphs the damage distribution for you.  Contains most of the common combat modifiers.

Light Army Builder: Pretty much the same as the one previously made by uberursine.  It's easier to sort, and more importantly it works on DocsToGo for the iPad.

These are both in beta, let me know if you see something weird.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:14:51 PM by Zelc »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Excel Tools for BGFW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »
Basically proving that you need to get yourself a girlfriend or something  :P

Seriously, these are pretty cool.  The damage calculator will certainly be helpful for many folks here.  The Light Army Builder works well, but I'm not sure if I'll ever use it because I have been using Ubersine's for so long.  That being said, it offers a quick alternative to the other one.  Good work!
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 11:27:50 AM »
FYI, I noticed I forgot to fix the overkill rule for the To Hit roll.  I'll fix that tonight and re-upload.  I'm pretty sure the overkill rule for the To Wound roll works.

Also, I think I have an idea of how to model Nets...

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »

All you need is a right hand, man.  ;D

Seriously though, pretty cool. Its useful just to throw numbers in and give yourself a quick feel for the potentials.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »
OK, I think I fixed the attack calculator.  These things aren't that hard to make either!

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
Possibly validating this statement :P, I got bored and am now about 70% of the way complete with the first draft of a 1v1 combat simulator, which will simulate the results of an arbitrary number of combats and tell me who wins and how much damage each unit did.  It's programmed in VBA because it's more convenient for me.  I'm hoping I'll eventually port this over to Python, which will give me an excuse to learn Python.

EDIT: I actually got it done last night, but I haven't tested for bugs.  I'm going to guarantee there has to be some bugs; there's no way I got it perfect in one shot.  I don't have many good ideas on testing though  :(.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 08:17:57 AM by Zelc »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:30 AM »
Possibly validating this statement :P, I got bored and am now about 70% of the way complete with the first draft of a 1v1 combat simulator, which will simulate the results of an arbitrary number of combats and tell me who wins and how much damage each unit did.  It's programmed in VBA because it's more convenient for me.  I'm hoping I'll eventually port this over to Python, which will give me an excuse to learn Python.

EDIT: I actually got it done last night, but I haven't tested for bugs.  I'm going to guarantee there has to be some bugs; there's no way I got it perfect in one shot.  I don't have many good ideas on testing though  :(.
You keep this up and nobody is going to want to actually play the games anymore  :P

Advice - sit on this until AFTER the tournament  ;)
-Rush, Secret Touch

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • Administrator
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
You keep this up and nobody is going to want to actually play the games anymore  :P

Advice - sit on this until AFTER the tournament  ;)

No man, if we encourage him, we'll probably end up with the online play client everyone's always wanted! :P

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 11:18:43 PM »
Don't hold your breath :p.  VASSAL is sort of annoying to figure out, actually.

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • Administrator
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 11:27:45 PM »
Don't hold your breath :p.  VASSAL is sort of annoying to figure out, actually.

Oh yeah I meant from the ground up obv.

But I was also, perhaps, joking a bit ;)

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:02 AM »
I was telling him to sit on it so that other players won't have the same insight he may have and thus give him a slight edge in the tournament.  I was being a nice guy, you see :)
-Rush, Secret Touch

Moose

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »
Just an FYI- In your light army builder you left a unit out from the Dark Elves- The Dusk Lord is not on there.

BubblePig

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »
Thanks, Zelc.
Also, per Kevin's fix the Lashmistress Spell causes the unit to move whether or not it causes damage.

The Lashmistress loses an attack die, going to (4) 6/5 for both her spell and her regular (engaged) attack. (She
still can make a regular attack if her "Siren Song" causes an enemy unit to final rush that turn.) However her
"Siren Song" spell effect is automatic (like the Coven Spells currently are): she no longer needs to do a point
of damage for the spell to take effect.

I used this text in my version:
Fearsome.  Spell: Siren Song (Attack) A(4) 6/5 Range: 10.5" Line of Sight.  Cast at the end of your Movement and Command Phase.  No penalty for Move and Shoot.  Damage from this attack can't cause rout checks. If the target of Siren Song is a non-routing unit, move it immediately towards this unit as if it had a Close order targeting it.  This movement can cause a Final Rush.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 04:41:36 PM by BubblePig »

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23:17 PM »
I added the Dusk Lord, and changed the Lashmistress wording to this:

Fearsome.  Spell: Siren Song (Attack) A(4) 6/5 Range: 10.5" Line of Sight.  Cast at the end of your Movement and Command Phase.  No penalty for Move and Shoot.  Damage from this attack can't cause rout checks.  The first time a non-routing unit is attacked by Siren Song in a phase, move it immediately towards this unit as if it had a Close order targeting it.  This movement can cause a Final Rush.

BubblePig

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 01:27:20 PM »
Nice job, Zelc. I had a messier version for crunching numbers, but am going to start using yours.
I am confused about the purpose of sumproduct function in the [to hit] and [to dmg] final numbers, though.
It seems to be throwing off the [to dmg.] For example with attacker numbers 5/6 and defender numbers 2/3 I get 3's and 4's.