Author Topic: Union (Civil War) Faction Ability  (Read 34 times)

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
Union (Civil War) Faction Ability
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:48:01 PM »
Looking for thoughts on changing the Union's Faction Ability.

Currently, the Faction Ability is as follows:

Fighting Retreat: Spend 3 command actions.  All of your units may move straight backwards this turn instead of moving normally.   

I'm considering changing to make the ability more useful when facing fast armies:

Fighting Retreat: Spend 3 command actions.  All of your units may move straight backwards this turn instead of moving normally.   If a unit is engaged, that unit may leave the engagement by moving straight backwards.  All engaged enemy units get a free attack on the disengaging unit.

The Union Benefit:  They're bad at engagements, this lets them disengage and shoot again.
The Union Downside:  Enemy gets a free attack and will charge next turn (They only move 1.75")

The Enemy Benefit:  Free attack and a CYCLE CHARGE!
The Enemy Downside:  They just made it through a hail of bullets just to get 1 more.

This might be too strong, but the Union also has to be reloaded or they're just giving a cycle charge to the opponent.  So it might not be doable very often

The Free Attack and cycle charge could make this a bad thing leaving the Union army in pieces even before being able to shoot.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Re: Union (Civil War) Faction Ability
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 10:10:28 PM »
It's hard to envision any scenario where I'd be willing give up 3 command cards and give the opponent a free attack.  I wouldn't worry about that being too strong. 

I'm guessing "Free attack" is on the whatever side of the unit has been engaged, as opposed to the reverse side. Probably should specify.

"Straight" backwards probably needs to be more clearly defined.  What if two units are close by but facing away from each other a little bit so that moving straight backwards would result in overlap?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 08:04:37 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
Re: Union (Civil War) Faction Ability
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 09:55:26 AM »
How about this?

Fighting Retreat: Spend 3 command actions.  All of your units may move backwards this turn as if being directly controlled instead of moving normally.   If a unit is engaged, that unit may leave the engagement by moving backwards.  All engaged enemy units get a free attack on the disengaging unit's facing side (usually the front side).

It's hard to envision any scenario where I'd be willing give up 3 command cards and give the opponent a free attack.  I wouldn't worry about that being too strong. 

I think you're right, but...

Each of your units will get a Power 9 ranged attack averaging 3-5 wounds, a good chance to Disrupt some of the enemy line, and the Union isn't engaged.  Engagements are a big disadvantage for the Union.  Cannon cannot fire into engagements, so you get another shot from cannon as well (Minimum 2 wounds).

The last play test, the Union destroyed 900 points prior to being engaged.  Once engaged, the Union destroyed 0 units the rest of the game.

Plus, if you have the Point Blank Range command card in hand, it'll be bad for the opponent.

Point Blank Range: (Green, 2 cards) Play during the movement and command phase.  Any firearm unit shooting at an enemy unit within 3.5” gains 2 additional impact hits.  You cannot play Red command cards on those attacks.