Author Topic: Winter 2019 Battleground Championship Tournament Discussion  (Read 246 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Winter 2019 Battleground Championship Tournament Discussion
« on: November 12, 2018, 06:48:13 PM »
Hi folks!

It's that time of the year for this discussion.  As in previous years, I plan or running a Battleground Championship Tournament again early in 2019.  It has always been in the Boston area with TotalCon being the most common location in late February.  My friends and I look forward to this trip every year but there has been a decline in attendance in recent years.  So it's time to rethink things.  If there is a reasonable amount of interest in the Boston area, I'm totally fine with continuing to travel there to attend/run the tournament*  However, if there isn't much interest, I'm better off running the event at Dreamation 22 in Morristown NJ which is on the same weekend as TotalCon (Feb 21-24).  This is run by the same people who run Dexcon in July and takes place in THE SAME LOCATION.  So it's obviously easier for us and I can also guarantee some additional local players will attend the tournament who normally would not make the trip up the TotalCon which is in Marlboro Massachusetts.  I'd like to get a gauge on interest in the event so I can start the ball rolling.  So here's the options as I see it:

A - Do what we've done all along and throw the event to TotalCon as we always do.  We can do this if we are sure we can get a reasonable amount of players.

B - Have the event at Dreamation on the same weekend.  We will have some additional local participants if we take this route.

C - Forget about a Championship Tournament this year due to lack of interest.

Obviously C is the least attractive option, but I really don't feel up to running a Championship tournament for anything less than 8 players if I can help it.  Especially if I have to travel to do so.  Please weigh in with your opinions about this so we can plan it out and get it done! 

TotalCon 2019 - http://www.totalcon.com/

Dreamation 2019 - https://dexposure.com/ss2019.html

*Kevin has run all of the Championship Tournaments before I took over last year and for that we are eternally grateful

"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: Winter 2019 Battleground Championship Tournament Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 12:53:15 PM »
Yeah, sure would be nice if we could scrape up at least 8 players.

I like Total Con, and I haven't missed going much over the years.  (Not sure if I ever have since I started going).  However, not sure I will go this time around if we don't get a good contingent of players.  Last year was pretty good.  I appreciate anybody that makes the effort. (Jaime, Kevin, Eric, Blakely, etc you know who you are!!!!).  I'll also have to see what Marcus is doing.  If he doesn't go most likely I wont.  If we run a tourney at DreamCon I'll go to this one rather than Total.

One thing that I think we should do to stir up interest is to start playing some games at the Highlander Games in Boonton, NJ.  We saw some interest there the few times we played there in the past.  I'm sure we could get some loyal followers if we make the effort.  Perhaps we could go there on a Friday or a Saturday a few times and run some demos?  At the very least we may get some people to look over our shoulders while we play to say "Hmmmm, what's that?"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 03:10:18 PM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 09:39:58 PM »
We kinda, sorta, had 8 last year at Totalcon, yes?  In alphabetical order:

Blakely
Brook
Eric
Jaime
Kevin
Manny  <---  Left early after a couple of losses.  It happens.
Marcus <---  OK Marcus didn't play, but that's his own damn fault!  ;)  I both ran and played for the 3 years prior.
Ron

------------

I'd play again if it's up here, though at the same time last year I was slightly sad about not playing at the Pathfinder tables.  If it's a significant drive I'd probably just go to Totalcon and play Pathfinder.  Small chance that I'm inspired to make the trek to NJ, though significant trips during the spring/fall semesters are really tough.

Of course, the goal of a tournament really is to generate new interest in the game, so if there are new players and a growing community down in NJ that's probably a better strategic location to run a tournament.

So really, thanks for all you have done for the game, and no hard feelings whatever you decide!  Though if you do run it in NJ some photos will be most appreciated!  :)

------------

As to other players...

Educated guess here:  Blakely is pretty heavy on odds (90%?) to go to Totalcon.  She's probably at best a 1-in-3 to go to NJ even if I did go and 0.00001% to go if I don't.  She is, of course, welcome to chime in.

Others will have to speak for themselves.

Sadly, I find it implausible that anyone would play at TotalCon in 2019 who didn't play at TotalCon in 2018, though folks are of course welcome to speak up and prove me wrong. 
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:58:16 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:56:12 PM »
What convention is in NH?  Not sure I know that one......

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 03:58:34 PM »
Sorry that was a (now fixed) typo.  I meant NJ.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Kevin

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2018, 09:03:13 PM »
I spoke with Ron today.  He says that it's equally convenient for him to go to either TotalCon or NJ (at least if someone in NJ offers crash space).  But the bad news is that he really can't commit to anything at this point.  His wife is between jobs and his own is a bit in flux and he needs to see how everything is shaking out closer to that time.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 02:23:41 PM »
He's always welcome to crash at my place (he's done it before).  That's absolutely not problem.   I hope he can make it when the time comes.  That goes for all the consistent players over the years. 

All I ask, is that he doesn't play Persia again........:)  He heeeeee