Author Topic: VASSAL Module: let's play!  (Read 2222 times)

Zelc

• Playtester
VASSAL Module: let's play!
« on: January 25, 2016, 01:41:01 AM »
Update Jan 28 2016: v1.1 released.
Update Jan 29 2016: v1.2 released.
Update Jan 29 2016: v1.3 released.
Update Feb 01 2016: v1.4 released.
Update Feb 03 2016: v1.5 released.

I just finished a VASSAL module (v1.5) for this game. VASSAL is a virtual tabletop engine; you can download it here. Think of VASSAL as a table, and the modules are the board games you play on the table. You should install VASSAL as you would any other program. Create a folder somewhere to hold VASSAL modules and put the BGFW module in that folder. I have a "VASSAL" folder in My Documents to hold all of my VASSAL modules.

Why did I make this when I'd already made a Tabletop Simulator version? I had two issues with Tabletop Simulator. First, the engine didn't allow for some time-saving automation, and playing games online without them takes much longer than in real life. Second, Tabletop Simulator seems to require a lot of system resources and it lags horribly on my computer.

To set up a game in VASSAL, you should import the module in Vassal. Open it, and choose "Look for a game online" as your option. It will open a chat window with a list of games/channels on the right side. Under the "New game" box, type in a name for your game. Before your opponent joins, you should go to File -> New Game, and select your side. Your opponent should then join by double-clicking the folder under "Active Games".

To start a game, you should first open up your Decklist window. Right-click on your faction's deck and select Use Deck; that puts the deck into the Decks window. You can close the Decklist window afterwards. Cards will be drawn (click and drag) from your deck to your Hand during play.

Next, open up your Hand window and the Pieces window. Select the tab for your faction, and build your army by clicking and dragging unit cards you want to your hand. When deploying, you can drag the unit cards from your hand into the Battlefield window.

If you want to use terrain, they can be found in the Pieces window. To select terrain on the Battlefield, you must ALT+Click on the terrain.

I highly suggest you pay attention to the hotkeys and use them.

Features:

Automated movement, now in 4 directions!

Health tracking on each card, and the border color automatically changes to reflect the unit's health status!

Sorted dice rolls!

Orange (P1) and Blue (P2) Player markers!

Rulers which pivot around the 0 tick mark!

Try it out and let me know if you encounter any bugs :).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:18:05 PM by Zelc »

Zelc

• Playtester
Re: VASSAL Module: let's play!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:43 AM »
Let me know if you're up for a game this Friday, late afternoon EST time :).

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:05:22 AM »
I'll take a look at the module this week. 
toodle pip

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:45:09 PM »
There's a bug where you can't see each others' command cards. Let me see what I can do about.

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
Whilst I appreciate that it's not been uploaded yet you probably need to rename the module version number to reflect the change.  The current iteration is surely v2.0 and if you are further editing then it goes up .1 from there.
toodle pip

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 01:56:58 PM »
Just had a play around.  Loads of good functionality (although obviously ugly as sin without scans) however there are a few things that need to be improved to make this a usable module:

1.  The ruler needs to be capable of being freely manipulated.  Having to right click and move by degrees(?) will become very frustrating, very quickly.  The same is needed for terrain (such as rivers, roads et al) and units.

2.  The dice need quick roll buttons along the top bar.  Having to open a screen and constantly select the number of dice to roll is enough to make me reluctant to play the module.  It is too laborious and time intensive.  1 through to 10 as a minimum.

3.  I'm unsure what the grid on the battlefield is for - it doesn't appear to be ergonomic so it's a bit odd

Those changes will make the module considerably user-friendly.  Otherwise it is pretty good and definitely a more attractive option than Steam.
toodle pip

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 02:46:46 PM »
The first released version is 1.0, I will increment the version number as more changes come out :)

1.  The ruler needs to be capable of being freely manipulated.  Having to right click and move by degrees(?) will become very frustrating, very quickly.  The same is needed for terrain (such as rivers, roads et al) and units.
I highly advise you use the hotkeys to rotate the rulers, units, and terrain. Also, note you have to hold ALT to select terrain (I need to put this in the main post).

That said, maybe I'll add a free rotation option.

2.  The dice need quick roll buttons along the top bar.  Having to open a screen and constantly select the number of dice to roll is enough to make me reluctant to play the module.  It is too laborious and time intensive.  1 through to 10 as a minimum.
That's a great idea. I was looking for an option to prevent people from changing the # of sides on the dice, and this would do nicely. I'll add it.

3.  I'm unsure what the grid on the battlefield is for - it doesn't appear to be ergonomic so it's a bit odd
So you can space your units without putting out a line of proxies. Line up the center points with the white lines. Also helps with placing terrain.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:49:54 PM by Zelc »

elgin_j

• Playtester
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »
When I looked at the white lines I wanted them to line up on the edges of cards and it didn't occur to me that they aligned to the centre points.  Now that you have explained it it makes sense and doesn't need to be altered.

If you take a look at the Warhammer Diskwars module [it's particular flaws notwithstanding) you'll see a free rotating ruler which I think would be far preferable to using hot keys.  Anything that is cumbersome/clunky will detract from the flaw experience, drag out the length of the game, and make it less enjoyable to play.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 04:49:03 PM by elgin_j »
toodle pip

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 05:43:06 PM »
If you take a look at the Warhammer Diskwars module [it's particular flaws notwithstanding) you'll see a free rotating ruler which I think would be far preferable to using hot keys.  Anything that is cumbersome/clunky will detract from the flaw experience, drag out the length of the game, and make it less enjoyable to play.
I can't seem to get both arbitrary rotation and defined rotation to work at the same time. It might be a conflict in the system.

I've been using hotkeys and it seems to work really well. Use Q to rotate clockwise and W to rotate counterclockwise. Ctrl+Q/W to rotate 5 degrees, and Ctrl+Shift+Q/W to rotate 1 degree. My preference is to keep the hotkeys, but if people have lots of trouble with it, I can switch it around.

For a ruler, you can also use the Measuring Tool. However, it will jump around at any zoom level other than 100% :(.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:20:11 PM by Zelc »

Lance OCasey

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »
I love Vassal, but I don't have the module-building skills or time. So I'm very excited and happy that Zelc has taken this on! Can't wait to start playing.

One bug I noticed: The Umenzi faction ability is listed under the High Elves tab instead of the High Elves' faction ability.

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 07:38:35 PM »
One bug I noticed: The Umenzi faction ability is listed under the High Elves tab instead of the High Elves' faction ability.
Thanks, I've fixed that for the next version :).

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 02:18:00 PM »
Pending a test to see if command cards are visible to other players, I should be ready to release v1.1 of this module.

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 03:59:15 PM »
The Command Card issue turned out to be user error in starting a game online. I've clarified the instructions and v1.1 is uploaded.

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »
I found and fixed an issue in the Lizardmen units. Please update your file to v1.2.

Zelc

• Playtester
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »
Released v1.3 to add tokens for objectives on the map. Please update to the latest version :).